Find the definite integral of a vector

In summary, the problem is to evaluate the integral of the vector function \vec{r}(t) = t^2\vec{i} + t\cos{(\pi t)}\vec{j} + \sin{(\pi t)}\vec{k} from 0 to 1. The attempt at a solution involved integrating each individual component and using integration by parts for the \vec{j} component. However, evaluating at 0 makes the coefficient of \vec{k} undefined. The solution involves using the properties of integration to rewrite the integral as the sum of the integrals of each component separately.
professordad

Homework Statement

If [itex]\vec{r}(t) = t^2\vec{i} + t\cos{(\pi t)}\vec{j} + \sin{(\pi t)}\vec{k}[/itex], evaluate [itex]\int_{0}^{1} \vec{r}(t) \text{dt}[/itex].

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So I tried integrating each individual part, and I got
[itex]\frac{1}{3}t^3\vec{i} + (-\pi t\sin{(\pi t)} - \frac{\sin{(\pi t)}}{\pi})\vec{j} - \frac{\cos{(\pi t)}}{t}\vec{k} |_{0}^{1}[/itex]
(For the coefficient of [itex]\vec{j}[/itex] I used integration by parts, I'm not sure if that's right because it looks weird)
But evaluating at 0 makes the coefficient of [itex]\vec{k}[/itex] undefined! What should I do? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
professordad said:

Homework Statement

If [itex]\vec{r}(t) = t^2\vec{i} + t\cos{(\pi t)}\vec{j} + \sin{(\pi t)}\vec{k}[/itex], evaluate [itex]\int_{0}^{1} \vec{r}(t) \text{dt}[/itex].

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So I tried integrating each individual part, and I got
[itex]\frac{1}{3}t^3\vec{i} + (-\pi t\sin{(\pi t)} - \frac{\sin{(\pi t)}}{\pi})\vec{j} - \frac{\cos{(\pi t)}}{t}\vec{k} |_{0}^{1}[/itex]
(For the coefficient of [itex]\vec{j}[/itex] I used integration by parts, I'm not sure if that's right because it looks weird)
But evaluating at 0 makes the coefficient of [itex]\vec{k}[/itex] undefined! What should I do? Thanks.
You do realize that
[itex]\displaystyle
\int_{0}^{1} \vec{r}(t)\,dt=\hat{i}\int_{0}^{1} t^2\,dt+\hat{j}\int_{0}^{1} t\cos(\pi t)\,dt- \hat{k}\int_{0}^{1} \sin(\pi t)\,dt\ ,[/itex]​
don't you?

Show how you did the integration by parts, and show how you get a t in the denominator of the k component.

Related to Find the definite integral of a vector

1. What is the purpose of finding the definite integral of a vector?

The definite integral of a vector is used to calculate the area under a curve in a given interval. This can be applied to various real-life scenarios such as calculating the displacement of an object or the amount of work done by a force.

2. How is the definite integral of a vector different from the definite integral of a scalar function?

The definite integral of a scalar function is a number, while the definite integral of a vector is a vector. This means that the definite integral of a vector has both magnitude and direction, making it more complex to calculate.

3. What is the process for finding the definite integral of a vector?

To find the definite integral of a vector, you first need to parameterize the vector function and then calculate the line integral along the given curve. This involves breaking the curve into smaller segments and using the fundamental theorem of calculus to find the integral for each segment. Finally, you sum up all the individual integrals to get the total definite integral of the vector.

4. Can the definite integral of a vector be negative?

Yes, the definite integral of a vector can be negative. This can happen if the vector function crosses the x-axis in the given interval, resulting in the integral being below the x-axis and therefore negative. It is important to pay attention to the direction of the vector when calculating the definite integral to avoid any mistakes.

5. What are some real-life applications of finding the definite integral of a vector?

The definite integral of a vector has many real-life applications, such as calculating the displacement of an object, the work done by a force, the area under a velocity-time graph, and the amount of fluid flowing through a pipe. It is also used in physics, engineering, and economics to solve various problems involving rates of change and accumulation.