Find the capacitance of C3 and its charge

In summary, the conversation is about correcting mistakes in a solution for a problem involving voltage across a capacitor. The correct formula for this is V=Q/C, and it is important to use the correct formula in order to solve the problem accurately. The individual has made corrections and improved their solution, and they are also discussing how to make their work look more presentable. Additionally, they mention that the calculation for part (a) becomes simpler after completing part (b).
Kelsi_Jade

Homework Statement

From the textbook:
upload_2017-3-27_9-20-2.png

Homework Equations

/ 3. The Attempt at a Solution
My attempt at the solution: looking to fix my issues and help correcting my work.[/B]
upload_2017-3-27_9-20-24.png

upload_2017-3-27_9-21-49.png

Physics news on Phys.org
You have used incorrect formula for voltage across capacitor.

You need to write the voltage across capacitor in terms of charge and capacitance.

Should be V=Q/C?

Kelsi_Jade said:
Should be V=Q/C?
Yes.

So, would this be accurate?

upload_2017-3-27_17-19-31.png

I think that's right for (a). Much better than before. :approve:

For (b) you don't actually need the answer to (a). You might be able to say it off back of head. :oldwink:

After which calculation of (a) is a bit simpler.

Here Matrices and determiants is how you can make pages like yours look better.

Last edited:

Related to Find the capacitance of C3 and its charge

1. What is capacitance?

Capacitance is the ability of a system to store an electric charge. It is measured in farads (F) and is determined by the geometry and material of the system.

2. How is capacitance calculated?

The capacitance of a system can be calculated using the formula C = Q/V, where C is capacitance, Q is charge, and V is voltage.

3. How can I find the capacitance of C3?

To find the capacitance of C3, you will need to know the charge and voltage of the system. Then, you can use the formula C = Q/V to calculate the capacitance.

4. What is the charge of C3?

The charge of C3 can be determined by using the formula Q = CV, where Q is charge, C is capacitance, and V is voltage. Alternatively, the charge may be given in the problem or measured using an instrument such as a voltmeter.

5. How does C3's capacitance affect the system?

The capacitance of C3 affects the system by determining the amount of charge that can be stored and the rate at which it can be transferred. It also affects the overall electrical potential and stability of the system.