Find the bit string for the following sets.

In summary, the first question asks to find the bit string for the set b = {4,3,3,5,2,3,3} using the universal set u = {1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10}. The answer would be 0111100000 after removing duplicates. The second question is a general question about finding the bit string for the union of two sets, but no specific sets are given.
Hodgey8806

Homework Statement

The a universal set: u = {1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10}

1) Find the bit string for b = {4,3,3,5,2,3,3,}

2) Find the bit string for the union of two sets.

Homework Equations

1)Would I first begin this problem by realizing that set b is the same as {2,3,4,5}?

The Attempt at a Solution

1)If so, then the bit string would 0111100000.

2)Would I say that the union of two sets would give a truth table such as 1110. Is this correct?

Is this correct? thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hodgey8806 said:

Homework Statement

The a universal set: u = {1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10}

1) Find the bit string for b = {4,3,3,5,2,3,3,}

2) Find the bit string for the union of two sets.

Homework Equations

1)Would I first begin this problem by realizing that set b is the same as {2,3,4,5}?
It would be helpful for you to tell us what b actually is. There is not usually any indication in a set of whether any of the elements are duplicates, so it's not clear to me what {4, 3, 3, 5, 2, 3, 3} is supposed to represent.

Otherwise, if what you are supposed to do is show a string of bits that indicates the elements in b, then {0, 1, 1, 1, 1, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0} seems reasonable to me.

Hodgey8806 said:

The Attempt at a Solution

1)If so, then the bit string would 0111100000.

2)Would I say that the union of two sets would give a truth table such as 1110. Is this correct?

Is this correct? thanks!

The union of two sets is all those elements that are in the first set, or in the second set, or in their intersection.

The problem gives b to be a subset of the universal set. And b is the set of those elements "b = {4,3,3,5,2,3,3}". The question just asked me to find a bit string using the universal set given above. So I'm assuming that the duplicates can be done away with so that b is really just the set b = (2,3,4,5}. (Forgive me for not using an upper case b. I didn't think about it originally so I will use lower case for continuity.)

Also, the problem in the paper did not specify any sets for question number 2. It doesn't give any universal set or any other two sets. It was just a general question I'm assuming that the teacher meant that represents ALL sets. If that is not actually possible, then I can understand that I must be given a minimum of two sets to find the bit string for the union or intersection.

However, the questions are both worded exactly as on my paper and number 2 doesn't discuss any example sets. It just has that sentence and nothing else.

Thank you very much for help! :)

b* not be in the 4th word

Related to Find the bit string for the following sets.

1. What is a bit string?

A bit string is a sequence of binary digits (also called bits) that can represent information in a computer system. It is often used to encode data such as numbers, letters, or symbols.

2. How do you find the bit string for a set?

To find the bit string for a set, you first need to determine the number of elements in the set. Then, you can assign a unique binary number to each element in the set, starting from 0. Finally, you can combine these binary numbers to form a bit string.

3. What are the different methods for finding the bit string of a set?

There are two main methods for finding the bit string of a set: the positional method and the mapping method. The positional method is based on the position of the elements in the set, while the mapping method uses a one-to-one mapping between the elements and their binary representations.

4. Can a set have multiple bit string representations?

Yes, a set can have multiple bit string representations depending on the method used to find it. However, each set should have a unique bit string representation for a specific method.

5. Why is finding the bit string for a set important?

Finding the bit string for a set is important because it allows for the efficient storage and retrieval of data in a computer system. It also enables operations such as intersection, union, and complement on sets, which are essential in various mathematical and scientific applications.