Find terminal voltage, currents of multiple batteries.

In summary: If you add up all the battery terminal voltages (paying attention to polarity) and divide by the load resistance, you should get the current value that you determined earlier.
Blu3eyes

Homework Statement

Find terminal voltage, currents of each battery
[PLAIN]http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/8667/questionl.jpg

Homework Equations

[tex]\epsilon=I(R + ri)[/tex]
Vterminal= [tex]\epsilon[/tex] [tex]\pm[/tex] I*ri

The Attempt at a Solution

Find current:
I=[tex]\frac{\epsilon1+\epsilon2+\epsilon3}{R+r1+r2+r3}[/tex]

Fine Voltage
Vterminal1= [tex]\epsilon1[/tex] [tex]\pm[/tex] I*r1

This is all I can think of and unfortunately, it does not seem right.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Careful, not all the batteries are in the same direction going around the loop.

gneill said:
Careful, not all the batteries are in the same direction going around the loop.

Yep, that is why I put the [tex]\pm[/tex] when finding the terminal Voltage.
Could you give me some suggestions??
I am thinking of using Kirchhoff's Laws but do not know how to start since all batteries are connected in series.

I would suggest finding the current first, ignoring whether the resistors represent internal or external resistances. Just assume a current direction and "walk" around the loop to write the loop voltage equation.

PS: You were *almost* right with your previous attempt, but if you look carefully at ε2 in the circuit, it faces in the opposite direction to the others.

Last edited:
ok, I would assume the counter clockwise current starting from emf 1. Current enters resistors with negative (-) end leaves with positive (+).
Loop :
emf1 - Ir1 + emf3 - Ir3 -Ir2 - emf2=0
6 - 6I + 8 - 8I -16I -12 =0
30I=2
I=0.066667 A

Then find terminal voltage:
Vter = emf (Plus or minus?) Iri ??

I don't see your load resistor in there.

gneill said:
I don't see your load resistor in there.

Let's try it again:
emf1 - Ir1 + emf3 - Ir3 -Ir2 - emf2 - I*Rload=0
6 - 6I + 8 - 8I -16I -12 -370I=0
400I=2
I=5x10-3A
Vt1=6V-5x10-3A[tex]\times6\Omega[/tex]=5.97V

Vt3=8V-5x10-3A[tex]\times8\Omega[/tex]=7.96V

Vt2=12V-5x10-3A[tex]\times16\Omega[/tex]=11.92V

Would you confirm, please??
Thanks!

Last edited:
You're 99% there. You've been tripped up again by the backward connection of emf2. That battery is actually sinking current rather than supplying it (conventional current of positive charges is flowing into its + terminal rather than out of it). So you need to add the potential across the internal resistance in this case.

gneill said:
You're 99% there. You've been tripped up again by the backward connection of emf2. That battery is actually sinking current rather than supplying it (conventional current of positive charges is flowing into its + terminal rather than out of it). So you need to add the potential across the internal resistance in this case.

I've got it. Vt2 should be 12.08.
Is there anyway I can check my work just so I know that I did not mess up the (+) or (-)??

Blu3eyes said:
I've got it. Vt2 should be 12.08.
Is there anyway I can check my work just so I know that I did not mess up the (+) or (-)??

If you add up all the battery terminal voltages (paying attention to polarity) and divide by the load resistance, you should get the current value that you determined earlier.

Related to Find terminal voltage, currents of multiple batteries.

1. How do I calculate the terminal voltage of multiple batteries?

To calculate the terminal voltage of multiple batteries, you need to add the individual voltages of each battery. For example, if you have three batteries with voltages of 1.5V, 2V, and 3V, the total terminal voltage would be 6.5V (1.5V + 2V + 3V).

2. How do I determine the current flowing through each battery in a circuit?

To determine the current flowing through each battery, you need to use Ohm's Law (I = V/R), where I is the current, V is the voltage, and R is the resistance. Divide the total terminal voltage by the total resistance in the circuit to get the total current. Then, use the ratio of individual resistances to calculate the current flowing through each battery.

3. Can I mix batteries with different voltages in a circuit?

It is not recommended to mix batteries with different voltages in a circuit as it can cause unequal distribution of current and can lead to damage or failure of the batteries. It is best to use batteries with the same voltage in a circuit.

4. How do I account for internal resistance when calculating the terminal voltage?

When calculating the terminal voltage of multiple batteries, you need to take into account the internal resistance of each battery. This can be done by adding the internal resistance of each battery to the total resistance in the circuit before calculating the current and terminal voltage.

5. Can I use a voltmeter to measure the terminal voltage of multiple batteries?

Yes, a voltmeter can be used to measure the terminal voltage of multiple batteries. Connect the positive lead of the voltmeter to the positive terminal of the first battery and the negative lead to the negative terminal of the last battery. The reading on the voltmeter will be the total terminal voltage of all the batteries in the circuit.