Find Tangent Lines to Polar Graph: r=2-3sin(θ)

In summary, to find the polar coordinates for the horizontal and vertical tangent lines for the given function, we first need to parametrize the curve. Then, by setting the derivative equal to zero and solving for theta, we can find the angles at which the tangent lines occur. These angles can be rounded to four decimal places for decimal approximations.
MarkFL
Gold Member
MHB
Here is the question:

How do I find the polar coordinates for the horizontal and vertical tangent lines?

For r=2-3sin(θ)

With decimal approximations to 4 places for the angles at which the tangent lines occur?

I keep messing up when I try to do this on my own, much appreciation to any who help

I have posted a link there to this topic so the OP can see my work.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hello Uncorrupted.Innocence,

The first thing I would do is look at a polar plot of the given function:

View attachment 1018

Next, let's parametrize the curve:

\(\displaystyle x=r\cos(\theta)=\left(2-3\sin(\theta) \right)\cos(\theta)\)

\(\displaystyle y=r\sin(\theta)=\left(2-3\sin(\theta) \right)\sin(\theta)\)

Hence:

\(\displaystyle \frac{dx}{d\theta}=\left(2-3\sin(\theta) \right)\left(-\sin(\theta) \right)+\left(-3\cos(\theta) \right)\cos(\theta)=6\sin^2(\theta)-2\sin(\theta)-3\)

Equating this to zero, and applying the quadratic formula, we find:

\(\displaystyle \theta=\sin^{-1}\left(\frac{1\pm\sqrt{19}}{6} \right)\)

Because $\sin(\pi-\theta)=\sin(\theta)$, we also have:

\(\displaystyle \theta=\pi-\sin^{-1}\left(\frac{1\pm\sqrt{19}}{6} \right)\)

We may add integral multiples of $2\pi$ as needed to place $0\le\theta<2\pi$.

So, rounded to four places, the angles at which the tangent lines are vertical are:

\(\displaystyle \theta\approx1.1043,\,2.0373,\,3.7358,\,5.689\)

\(\displaystyle \frac{dy}{d\theta}=\left(2-3\sin(\theta) \right)\left(\cos(\theta) \right)+\left(-3\cos(\theta) \right)\sin(\theta)=2\cos(\theta)\left(1-3\sin(\theta) \right)\)

Equating each factor in turn to zero, we find:

\(\displaystyle \cos(\theta)=0\)

\(\displaystyle \theta=\frac{\pi}{2},\,\frac{3\pi}{2}\)

\(\displaystyle 1-3\sin(\theta)=0\)

\(\displaystyle \theta=\sin^{-1}\left(\frac{1}{3} \right),\,\pi-\sin^{-1}\left(\frac{1}{3} \right)\)

So, rounded to four places, the angles at which the tangent lines are horizontal are:

\(\displaystyle \theta\approx0.3398,\,1.5708,\,2.8016,\,4.7124\)

Attachments

• uipolar.jpg
    uipolar.jpg
    5.3 KB · Views: 43

Related to Find Tangent Lines to Polar Graph: r=2-3sin(θ)

1. What is a polar graph?

A polar graph is a type of graph used in mathematics to plot points using polar coordinates. Instead of using the traditional x and y axes, polar graphs use a polar coordinate system consisting of a central point (the pole) and a radial axis (the polar axis). The distance from the pole to a point on the graph is represented by the length of the radial line, and the angle between the polar axis and the radial line is represented by the angle θ.

2. How do I find the tangent lines to a polar graph?

To find the tangent lines to a polar graph, you can use the following steps:

1. Find the slope of the tangent line at a given point by using the derivative of the polar function, which is given by dy/dx = (dy/dθ)/(dx/dθ).
  2. Plug in the value of θ at the point of tangency into the derivative to find the slope.
  3. Use the point-slope formula to find the equation of the tangent line, which is y - y0 = m(x - x0), where m is the slope and (x0, y0) is the point of tangency.

3. What is the equation of the given polar graph: r=2-3sin(θ)?

The equation of the given polar graph is r = 2 - 3sin(θ). This means that the distance from the pole to any point on the graph is equal to 2 minus 3 times the sine of the angle θ.

4. How many tangent lines can a polar graph have?

A polar graph can have an infinite number of tangent lines. This is because the slope of the tangent line changes continuously as the angle θ changes, resulting in a new tangent line at every point on the graph.

5. Can a polar graph have vertical tangent lines?

Yes, a polar graph can have vertical tangent lines. This happens when the slope of the tangent line is undefined, which occurs when the denominator of the derivative of the polar function is equal to 0. In this case, the tangent line is parallel to the polar axis.