Find surface area of a non-conducting sheet

In summary, the problem involves a small charged sphere hanging from a silk thread at an angle θ from a large charged non-conducting sheet. The surface charge density on the sheet can be calculated using the equation ∫E.ds, where E is the electric field and σ is the surface charge density. To find σ, an integral can be set up with circular elements centered on points on the sheet closest to the ball. The force on the ball will decrease linearly with increasing radius, but there will also be a trig term to consider due to the changing angle of the thread. The equation relating total force to theta can be used to solve for the surface charge density.
dk321

Homework Statement

A small sphere of mass m carries a charge of q. It hangs from a silk thread which makes an angle
θ with a large charged non-conducting sheet. Calculate the surface charge density on the sheet.

Homework Equations

∫E.ds

The Attempt at a Solution

I found E of the sheet to be E = σA/ε

how do i find find σ, surface charge density for this problem what is the relationship between E of the sphere and E of the sheet?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, I'd think about setting up an integral with circular elements, each centered on the point on the sheet closest to the ball. Each point on one of these circles will have the same force on the ball in the direction normal to the sheet. I believe the force would fall off linearly with increasing radius - increasing circle circumference linearly balanced against the inverse-square field fall-off, but the progressively increasing angles from normal-to-the-plane directly under to the ball to parallel to the sheet at infinity would give a trig term I'm too lazy to figure out. (I'm assuming the sheet is vertical. Wouldn't the length of the thread and the distance of the thread's upper suspension point from the sheet need to be given? Otherwise you could get any angle of the thread even with the ball touching the sheet. ) You'll need the equation relating total force normal to the plane to theta. Then relate charge density to force, substitute and solve.

Related to Find surface area of a non-conducting sheet

1. How do you calculate the surface area of a non-conducting sheet?

To calculate the surface area of a non-conducting sheet, you will need to measure the length and width of the sheet using a ruler or measuring tape. Then, multiply the length by the width to get the total area in square units.

2. Why is it important to find the surface area of a non-conducting sheet?

Knowing the surface area of a non-conducting sheet is important because it allows you to determine the amount of material needed for a project or to ensure proper coverage for a specific area. It is also important for calculating the cost of materials.

3. Are there any specific units used to measure the surface area of a non-conducting sheet?

The surface area of a non-conducting sheet can be measured in any unit of length, such as inches, feet, meters, or centimeters. Just make sure to use the same unit for both the length and width measurements.

4. Can the surface area of a non-conducting sheet be calculated if it is not a perfect rectangle?

Yes, the surface area of a non-conducting sheet can still be calculated if it is not a perfect rectangle. Simply divide the sheet into smaller, more manageable shapes (such as triangles or squares) and calculate the surface area of each shape separately. Then, add the surface areas together to get the total surface area of the sheet.

5. Are there any other methods for finding the surface area of a non-conducting sheet?

Yes, there are other methods for finding the surface area of a non-conducting sheet, such as using a formula specific to the shape of the sheet (e.g. triangle, circle, etc.) or by using a computer program or online calculator designed for this purpose. However, the basic method of measuring length and width and multiplying them together will work for most situations.