Find Sum of Diagonals of Pentagon $PQRST$

• MHB
  • Thread starter anemone
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sum
In summary, Opalg correctly guessed the lengths of the diagonals of a pentagon inscribed in a circle, and found that the sum of the lengths of the diagonals is 385 + 6 = 391.
anemone
Gold Member
MHB
POTW Director
Let $PQRST$ be a pentagon inscribed in a circle such that $PQ=RS=3$, $QR=ST=10$, and $PT=14$. The sum of the lengths of all diagonals of $PQRST$ equals to $\dfrac{a}{b}$, where $a$ and $b$ are relatively prime positive integers.

Find $a+b$.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
[sp]I started with a lucky guess. The diagonals $PR$, $QS$, $RT$ are all equal, because each of them is the longest side of an oblique-angled triangle whose other sides are $3$ and $10$, all three triangles having the same circumradius. The question suggests that the diagonals may all have rational length, and going by the look of the diagram I guessed that those three diagonals might all have length $12$. If so, then the circumradius can be calculated from the formula $$r = \frac{abc}{\sqrt{(a+b+c)(a+b-c)(a-b+c)(-a+b+c)}}$$ for the circumradius $r$ of a triangle with sides $a,b,c.$ That formula gave the radius of the circle as $\dfrac{72}{\sqrt{95}}.$ I then used the same circumradius formula (this time knowing the radius and two of the sides in order to find the third side) in the triangle $PQS$ to find that $PS = \frac{27}2$, and in the triangle $QST$ to find that $QT = \frac{44}3.$

Since those lengths are all rational, and all consistent with the circumradius being $\frac{72}{\sqrt{95}}$, it follows that my lucky guess was correct. The sum of the lengths of the five diagonals is $12 + 12 + 12 + \frac{27}2 + \frac{44}3 = \frac{385}6$. So the answer to the problem is $385 + 6 = 391.$[/sp]

Attachments

• pentagon.png
    pentagon.png
    7.2 KB · Views: 76
Opalg said:
[sp]I started with a lucky guess. The diagonals $PR$, $QS$, $RT$ are all equal, because each of them is the longest side of an oblique-angled triangle whose other sides are $3$ and $10$, all three triangles having the same circumradius. The question suggests that the diagonals may all have rational length, and going by the look of the diagram I guessed that those three diagonals might all have length $12$. If so, then the circumradius can be calculated from the formula $$r = \frac{abc}{\sqrt{(a+b+c)(a+b-c)(a-b+c)(-a+b+c)}}$$ for the circumradius $r$ of a triangle with sides $a,b,c.$ That formula gave the radius of the circle as $\dfrac{72}{\sqrt{95}}.$ I then used the same circumradius formula (this time knowing the radius and two of the sides in order to find the third side) in the triangle $PQS$ to find that $PS = \frac{27}2$, and in the triangle $QST$ to find that $QT = \frac{44}3.$

Since those lengths are all rational, and all consistent with the circumradius being $\frac{72}{\sqrt{95}}$, it follows that my lucky guess was correct. The sum of the lengths of the five diagonals is $12 + 12 + 12 + \frac{27}2 + \frac{44}3 = \frac{385}6$. So the answer to the problem is $385 + 6 = 391.$[/sp]
you guessed PR=12
you have to prove:PR=12 first

Last edited:
By applying Ptolemy's theorem five times I got 5 equations:

$a^2=10c+9$

$a^2=3e+100$

$ce=14a+30$

$ae=3a+140$

$ac=10a+42$

I rerranged a little to get cubics in e-3 and c-10 which my calculator solved for me. :p

Opalg said:

Good job, Opalg!(Happy)

You always be so capable to come up with an educated guess that it couldn't possibly go wrong and what's more important to me is, you will always confirm your hypothesis is correct. :):cool:

M R said:
By applying Ptolemy's theorem five times I got 5 equations:

$a^2=10c+9$

$a^2=3e+100$

$ce=14a+30$

$ae=3a+140$

$ac=10a+42$

I rerranged a little to get cubics in e-3 and c-10 which my calculator solved for me. :p

Well done, M R! :)

Yes, the trick for solving this problem is to to use the Ptolemy's theorem thrice and thanks for participating!

Here is the solution that I wanted to share with the folks at MHB, which is NOT my solution:
View attachment 2759

Note that $PQRS$ and $QRST$ are isoscles trapezoids so let $d=PR=QS=RT$, $e=PS$ and $f=QT$.

Then by Ptolemy's theorem on $PQRS,\,QRST,\,RSTP$, we have

$d^2=10e+9$

$d^2=3f+10$

$de=10d+42$

Now, solve the first for $e$ and substitute into the third to get:

$d\left(\dfrac{d^2-9}{10}\right)=10d+42$

This is equivalent to the cubic $d^3-109d-420=0$ which has roots 12, -5 and -7 so $d=12$.

Substituting this into the first and second equations gives $e=\dfrac{27}{2}$ and $f=\dfrac{44}{3}$ and thus the sum of all diagonals is $3d+e+f=\dfrac{385}{6}=\dfrac{a}{b}$ and hence $a+b=385+6=391$.

Attachments

• find a+b.JPG
    find a+b.JPG
    21 KB · Views: 54
Albert said:
you guessed PR=12
you have to prove:PR=12 first
That is correct. Fortunately, the circumradius formula comes to the rescue again, to justify my "lucky guess".

[sp]Let $x = PR=RT = QS$. The triangles $PQR$ (with sides $3,10,x$) and $PRT$ (with sides $x,x,14$) have the same circumradius. So the circumradius formula says that $$\frac{30x}{\sqrt{(13^2-x^2)(x^2-7^2)}} = \frac{14x^2}{\sqrt{14^2(14^2 - x^2)}}.$$ After some cancellation and simplification, that reduces to $60 = x\sqrt{13^2-x^2}$. Square both sides and rearrange, to get $x^4 - 13x^2 + 60^2 = 0$. That factorises as $(x^2-12^2)(x^2-5^2) = 0$, with solutions $x = \pm5,\pm12.$ The only one of those that fits the geometric context is $x=12.$[/sp]

Attachments

• pentagon.png
    pentagon.png
    7.2 KB · Views: 56

Related to Find Sum of Diagonals of Pentagon $PQRST$

1. What is the formula for finding the sum of the diagonals of a pentagon?

The formula for finding the sum of the diagonals of a pentagon is (5n - 10) / 2, where n is the length of one side of the pentagon.

2. How do you find the length of one diagonal in a pentagon?

To find the length of one diagonal in a pentagon, you can use the Pythagorean theorem. First, divide the pentagon into two equal triangles. Then, use the formula a^2 + b^2 = c^2, where a and b are the lengths of the two sides of the triangle and c is the length of the diagonal. Repeat this process for the other triangle and then add the two diagonal lengths together to find the sum of the diagonals.

3. Can you find the sum of the diagonals if you only know the length of one side of the pentagon?

Yes, you can find the sum of the diagonals if you only know the length of one side of the pentagon. You can use the formula (5n - 10) / 2, where n is the length of one side of the pentagon. This formula works for all regular pentagons.

4. What is the difference between the sum of the diagonals and the perimeter of a pentagon?

The sum of the diagonals is the total length of all the diagonals in a pentagon, while the perimeter is the total length of all the sides. The sum of the diagonals will always be longer than the perimeter, as it includes the diagonal lengths in addition to the side lengths.

5. Can the sum of the diagonals be negative?

No, the sum of the diagonals cannot be negative. Diagonal lengths are always positive values, and the sum of positive values will always result in a positive value.