Find speed with friction force and no mass?

In summary, the problem involves a ski sliding down a 22 degree incline with a coefficient of friction of 0.090. Using energy methods, the ski's speed at the base of the incline is found to be 21 m/s. The normal force is calculated using the weight and angle of the slope, and the acceleration is found to be 2.85 m/s2. The final velocity is then calculated using the kinematics equation Vf = Vo2 + 2a (X-Xo).
NewDaddyJones
Find speed with friction force and no mass??

Homework Statement

A ski starts from rest and slides down a 22 degree incline 75m long. If the coefficient of friction is 0.090, what is the ski's speed at the base of the incline? If the snow is level at the foot of the incline and has the same coefficient of friction, how far will the ski travel along the level? Use energy methods.

Homework Equations

Delta U = Delta K
mgh = (1/2)mv2
Wext = Delta K + FK * d * sin(theta)
Delta K = FK * d * sin (theta)

The Attempt at a Solution

I am stuck, I've tried so many manipulations of formulas that just wouldn't work because I was not provided with a mass. I tried determining what the mass was but I simply couldn't. I tried finding mass from mgh=(1/2)mv2 but that doesn't work out, and v does not simply = sqrt.(2gh) because of the friction.

How can I figure out the force of friction without mass, if it's possible? Or should I be asking how do I figure out the mass?

Physics news on Phys.org

How do you calculate the force of friction?

ehild

FK = MuK * FN
FK = MuK * mass * acceleration

I know you could cancel the masses out and find the acceleration, etc. but that doesn't help me out here, I've tried it about 2-3 times.

Okay not sure if noticed this but if you draw out a force diagram of your system you should find that the normal force is equal to a trigonometric component of the weight. Therefore, you can calculate the force from the weight and the angle and watch the masses cancel. Once that's done you can work out the energy the ski loses to friction (i.e. the work done by friction) as you know how long your slope is.

Hope that helps.

NewDaddyJones said:
FK = MuK * FN
FK = MuK * mass * acceleration
FN is the normal force. Does the skier move normal to the slope? So what is the acceleration in your formula FK = MuK * mass * acceleration ?

ehild

The skier does not move normal to the slope.

The force pulling the skier down the slope is gravity. If you split the gravitational force into two components you should find these components equal to the friction and the normal force (because of Newton's 3rd Law). Therefore the acceleration of the normal force is equal to one component of the gravitational acceleration g.

Does that make sense?

Okay, I understand your concept, however I don't understand how that can eventually give me the final velocity or friction force for that matter.

I applied that concept:

FN = mg * cos(theta)
mg * cos(theta) = ma ... masses cancel out
g * cos (theta) = a

But dealing with coefficient of friction, so:
g (sin (theta) - MuK * cos (theta) = a

^Using that formula, my a = 2.85 m/s2, however, I can't figure out my velocity from here.

okk well now that you have your acceleration just solve for velocity using the simple kinematics equations using what you know

Wow, yes - I can't believe I overlooked that, I had the acceleration the whole time, however I was looking at all the equations involving time, overlooking the formula: V2 = Vo2 + 2a (X-Xo)

Thank you, answer is Vf = 21 m/s

Related to Find speed with friction force and no mass?

1. What is the formula for calculating speed with friction force and no mass?

The formula for calculating speed with friction force and no mass is speed = friction force / drag coefficient. This formula is derived from the basic equation for force, F = ma, where mass is assumed to be zero.

2. How does friction force affect the speed of an object with no mass?

Friction force is directly proportional to the speed of an object with no mass. This means that as the friction force increases, the speed of the object also increases. On the other hand, if the friction force decreases, the speed of the object decreases as well.

3. Can an object with no mass have friction force?

Yes, an object with no mass can have friction force. Friction force is caused by the interaction between two surfaces, and it does not depend on the mass of the object. Therefore, even an object with no mass can experience friction force.

4. How do you measure friction force in a speed calculation?

Friction force can be measured using a force meter or a scale. The force meter can be attached to the object and the force needed to overcome the friction can be measured. Alternatively, the scale can be used to measure the weight of the object and the force needed to move it at a constant speed on a surface can be measured. This force is equal to the friction force.

5. Is the friction force the only factor affecting speed in an object with no mass?

No, the friction force is not the only factor affecting speed in an object with no mass. Other factors such as air resistance and surface roughness can also affect the speed of the object. However, in the absence of mass, friction force is the primary factor that determines the speed of an object.