Find Solutions for Char. Eqtn. y'' + 2y' + 3y = 0 with y(0) = 0, y'(0) = 1

• MHB
  • Thread starter ognik
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ode
In summary, the conversation discussed a second order linear/homogeneous ODE and its solution using the characteristic equation and the form of the solutions. It also touched on the concept of finding the general solution and the particular solution to an IVP. The conversation concluded with clarifying the two-parameter family of functions in the general solution and correcting a couple of typos in the solution process.
ognik
y'' + 2y' + 3y = 0, y(0) = 0, y'(0) = 1

Char. Eqtn. is $p^2 + 2p + 3 = 0, \therefore p = 1 \pm i \sqrt{2}$
Solutions of the form $p=r \pm iq$ are $y = e^{rx} \left( C_1 Cos qx + c_2 Sin qx \right) $

$\therefore y = e^{x} \left( C_1 Cos qx + c_2 Sin qx \right) , q= \sqrt2$

Now $y' = e^{x}\left( - C_1q Sin qx + C_2q Cos qx + C_1 Cos qx + C_2 Sin qx \right)$

$ y(0) = 0 = C_1, y'(0) = 1 = C_2q + C_1, \therefore C_2 = \frac{1}{\sqrt 2}$

Is that right please?

Physics news on Phys.org
You cite as the solution to the given second order IVP:

\(\displaystyle y(x)=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}e^x\sin\left(\sqrt{2}x\right)\)

I would check first to see if it satisfies the ODE, and so we must compute the first and second derivatives:

\(\displaystyle y'(x)=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\left(\sqrt{2}e^x\cos\left(\sqrt{2}x\right)+e^x\sin\left(\sqrt{2}x\right)\right)=\frac{e^x}{\sqrt{2}}\left(\sqrt{2}\cos\left(\sqrt{2}x\right)+\sin\left(\sqrt{2}x\right)\right)\)

\(\displaystyle y''(x)=\frac{e^x}{\sqrt{2}}\left(\sqrt{2}\cos\left(\sqrt{2}x\right)-2\sin\left(\sqrt{2}x\right)\right)+\frac{e^x}{\sqrt{2}}\left(\sqrt{2}\cos\left(\sqrt{2}x\right)+\sin\left(\sqrt{2}x\right)\right)=\frac{e^x}{\sqrt{2}}\left(2\sqrt{2}\cos\left(\sqrt{2}x\right)-\sin\left(\sqrt{2}x\right)\right)\)

Now, substitution into the ODE gives:

\(\displaystyle \frac{e^x}{\sqrt{2}}\left(2\sqrt{2}\cos\left(\sqrt{2}x\right)-\sin\left(\sqrt{2}x\right)\right)+2\cdot\frac{e^x}{\sqrt{2}}\left(\sqrt{2}\cos\left(\sqrt{2}x\right)+\sin\left(\sqrt{2}x\right)\right)+3\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}e^x\sin\left(\sqrt{2}x\right)=0\)

Let's multiply through by \(\displaystyle \sqrt{2}e^{-x}\ne0\):

\(\displaystyle \left(2\sqrt{2}\cos\left(\sqrt{2}x\right)-\sin\left(\sqrt{2}x\right)\right)+2\left(\sqrt{2}\cos\left(\sqrt{2}x\right)+\sin\left(\sqrt{2}x\right)\right)+3\sin\left(\sqrt{2}x\right)=0\)

Oops...it appears we have a problem here, because we do not get an identity. Can you find where you made a minor slip?

Thanks, my obvious (& silly) 1st mistake was I dropped a - sign, so it should be $ p = -1 \pm i \sqrt 2 $

I followed this through to get $ y = \frac{1}{q}e^{-x} Sin qx $

I then substituted it back into the original eqtn which worked out :-). Thanks for reminding me I could substitute back to check my answer
------------

The next exercise says "Find the general solution of the ODE in the previous question" (i.e. the one we've just looked at). I thought I had found the general solution, what am I missing please?

Last edited:
ognik said:
Thanks, my obvious (& silly) 1st mistake was I dropped a - sign, so it should be $ p = -1 \pm i \sqrt 2 $

I followed this through to get $ y = \frac{1}{q}e^{-x} Sin qx $

I then substituted it back into the original eqtn which worked out :-). Thanks for reminding me I could substitute back to check my answer
------------

The next exercise says "Find the general solution of the ODE in the previous question" (i.e. the one we've just looked at). I thought I had found the general solution, what am I missing please?

You found the particular solution that satisfies both the given ODE and the initial conditions...you found the solution to the IVP. Now they are asking for the general solution to the ODE, which you already have...the two-parameter family of functions...(containing $c_1$ and $c_2$). :)

Thats what I thought, but it seemed a trivial exercise to just write down something I had already found...

Incidentally, I found just 1 sltn for the IVP - I take it there is no 2nd solution to that IVP? For example I remember reading somewhere that if f(x) is a real sltn to an ODE, so is f(-x)? - but I can't remember any qualifiers ...

A second order linear/homogeneous ODE will have 2 linearly independent solutions. In this case, they are:

\(\displaystyle y_1(x)=c_1e^{-x}\sin\left(\sqrt{2}x\right)\)

\(\displaystyle y_2(x)=c_2e^{-x}\cos\left(\sqrt{2}x\right)\)

And then by the principle of superposition, they are combined to give the general solution. The reasoning is that since both:

\(\displaystyle y_1''+2y_1'+3y_1=0\)

\(\displaystyle y_2''+2y_2'+3y_2=0\)

are true, we can then add and rearrange to obtain:

\(\displaystyle \left(y_1''+y_2''\right)+2\left(y_1'+y_2'\right)+3\left(y_1+y_2\right)=0\)

And given the linearity of differentiation, that is \(\displaystyle \left(f_1+f_2\right)^{(n)}=f_1^{(n)}+f_2^{(n)}\), we may then state that:

\(\displaystyle y(x)=y_1(x)+y_2(x)\)

must also be a solution, and since there are no other linearly independent solutions, so it is the general solution. :)

Thanks, so if I find just 1 sltn for the IVP, I leave it at that?

Did you mean $C_2$ for $Y_2$?

ognik said:
Thanks, so if I find just 1 sltn for the IVP, I leave it at that?

Did you mean $C_2$ for $Y_2$?

Well, you will either be asked to find the general solution, or a particular solution given initial values.

And yes, I had a couple of typos before that I have corrected. :D

Related to Find Solutions for Char. Eqtn. y'' + 2y' + 3y = 0 with y(0) = 0, y'(0) = 1

1. What is an ODE?

An ODE, or ordinary differential equation, is a mathematical equation that describes how a variable changes over time. It involves a function and its derivative, and can be used to model various physical and biological systems.

2. What does it mean to "check" an ODE?

Checking an ODE involves verifying that a given function satisfies the equation and its initial or boundary conditions. This could involve solving the ODE analytically, numerically, or graphically to ensure that it accurately describes the behavior of the system it represents.

3. How do you solve an ODE?

ODEs can be solved through various methods including separation of variables, integrating factors, and numerical techniques like Euler's method or Runge-Kutta methods. The method used depends on the specific form of the ODE and its initial or boundary conditions.

4. Why is "checking" an ODE important?

Checking an ODE is important because it allows us to validate the accuracy of the equation and its solutions. This is crucial in ensuring that the ODE is a reliable model for the real-world system it represents and can provide useful insights and predictions.

5. Can an ODE accurately describe all systems?

No, an ODE may not accurately describe all systems. It is a simplified mathematical model that may not capture all the complexities and nuances of a real-world system. Additionally, some systems may require more advanced mathematical models, such as partial differential equations, to accurately describe their behavior.