Find resistance of resistor in RC circuit

In summary, the question asks to find the resistance of resistor R7 in a circuit with a switch and capacitor, so that the power of R7 is at its maximum. Thevenin's theorem is suggested as a possible solution, with the value of E3 needing to be determined before the switch is closed. The current Is plays a crucial role in this determination, as it affects the voltage across the capacitor and ultimately the value of E3.
AndrejN96

Homework Statement

Find the resistance of resistor R7 when the switch is turned on so that the power of that resistor is maximum in the circuit.

The voltage of the capacitor before the switch is turned on is Vc=200V.

r4oO78W.png

Homework Equations

Thevenin's theorem

The Attempt at a Solution

I believe I should be using Thevenin's theorem but I have no idea how to put it. Help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
It looks like you should be first trying to determine the value of E3. Do this before the switch is closed.

Pay close attention to the role of ##I_s##: it renders the effects of several other components to be nil.

At steady state the capacitor "looks like" an open circuit, so you need to find E3 such that the voltage across the place where C connects is 200 V. The current ##I_s## plays an important role here.

gneill said:
It looks like you should be first trying to determine the value of E3. Do this before the switch is closed.

Pay close attention to the role of ##I_s##: it renders the effects of several other components to be nil.

At steady state the capacitor "looks like" an open circuit, so you need to find E3 such that the voltage across the place where C connects is 200 V. The current ##I_s## plays an important role here.
So is Is going to flow through R3 and Vc is going to be equal to E3-Is*R3, and I find E3 from there?

AndrejN96 said:
So is Is going to flow through R3 and Vc is going to be equal to E3-Is*R3, and I find E3 from there?
Looks like a good deduction:)

gneill said:
Looks like a good deduction:)
Appreciate it, a lot! :)

Related to Find resistance of resistor in RC circuit

1. How do I calculate the resistance of a resistor in an RC circuit?

To calculate the resistance of a resistor in an RC circuit, you can use the formula R = V/I, where R is resistance, V is voltage, and I is current. You will need to measure the voltage and current in the circuit to plug into the equation.

2. What is the purpose of finding the resistance of a resistor in an RC circuit?

The resistance of a resistor in an RC circuit is important because it determines the flow of current in the circuit. It also affects the charging and discharging of the capacitor in the circuit.

3. Can I use a multimeter to find the resistance of a resistor in an RC circuit?

Yes, a multimeter can be used to measure the voltage and current in the circuit, which can then be used to calculate the resistance. However, make sure to use the correct settings and follow safety precautions when using a multimeter.

4. What factors can affect the resistance of a resistor in an RC circuit?

The resistance of a resistor in an RC circuit can be affected by factors such as temperature, material of the resistor, and the length and thickness of the resistor. These factors can cause the resistance to change, so it is important to consider them when calculating the resistance.

5. What happens if the resistance of a resistor in an RC circuit is too high or too low?

If the resistance of a resistor in an RC circuit is too high, it can limit the flow of current and affect the charging and discharging of the capacitor. If the resistance is too low, it can cause a large current to flow, potentially damaging the circuit. It is important to choose the appropriate resistance for the circuit to ensure proper functioning.