Find Relative Error of A: 2.33

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the relative error for a given value using a specific base and precision. The result is compared to the actual value and rounding is not taken into account. The final result is corrected to be $\frac{7}{3}$.
evinda
Gold Member
MHB
Hey! :rolleyes: I have also an other question :eek:
Suppose the base $\beta =10$ ,the precision $t=3$, $-L=U=10$ and $$A=(317+0.3)-(171.499+145.501)$$
I have to find the relative error for $A$.
We don't make rounding.For example,if we have the value $345.924$ it is equal to $0.345924*10^3$ and the corresponding floating number is $0.345*10^3$.
I found that it is equal to
$$\frac{||A-fl(A)||}{||A||}=\frac{7}{5}=2.33$$
Could you tell me if it is right?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
evinda said:
Hey! :rolleyes: I have also an other question :eek:
Suppose the base $\beta =10$ ,the precision $t=3$, $-L=U=10$ and $$A=(317+0.3)-(171.499+145.501)$$
I have to find the relative error for $A$.
We don't make rounding.For example,if we have the value $345.924$ it is equal to $0.345924*10^3$ and the corresponding floating number is $0.345*10^3$.
I found that it is equal to
$$\frac{||A-fl(A)||}{||A||}=\frac{7}{5}=2.33$$
Could you tell me if it is right?

I found that A=0.3 and fl(A)=1..

evinda said:
I found that A=0.3 and fl(A)=1..

Looks good! ;)... but doesn't that mean that:
$$\frac{||A-fl(A)||}{||A||} = \frac{|0.3 - 1|}{|0.3|} = \frac{0.7}{0.3} = 2.33$$

Oh wait! You also got $2.33$... while you shouldn't have. :eek: :rolleyes:

I like Serena said:
Looks good! ;)... but doesn't that mean that:
$$\frac{||A-fl(A)||}{||A||} = \frac{|0.3 - 1|}{|0.3|} = \frac{0.7}{0.3} = 2.33$$

Oh wait! You also got $2.33$... while you shouldn't have. :eek: :rolleyes:

I accidentally wrote $\frac{7}{5}$ :eek: I meant that it is equal to $\frac{7}{3}$..

Thank you very much! (Mmm)

Yes, your calculation for the relative error of A is correct. The relative error is a measure of how much the calculated value of A differs from the actual value, expressed as a percentage. In this case, the relative error is 2.33 or 233%. This indicates that the calculated value of A is 233% off from the actual value. It is important to minimize the relative error in scientific calculations, as it can affect the accuracy and reliability of the results.

Related to Find Relative Error of A: 2.33

What is the definition of relative error?

Relative error is a measure of the difference between the true value and the measured value of a quantity, expressed as a percentage of the true value.

How is relative error calculated?

Relative error is calculated by taking the absolute value of the difference between the true value and the measured value, dividing it by the true value, and then multiplying by 100 to get the percentage.

What is the significance of relative error in scientific measurements?

Relative error is important because it allows scientists to evaluate the accuracy of their measurements and determine the level of uncertainty in their data. It also allows for comparison between different measurements, even if they are in different units.

What is an acceptable range for relative error in scientific measurements?

The acceptable range for relative error in scientific measurements depends on the specific field and application. In general, a relative error of less than 5% is considered good, but this may vary depending on the precision and sensitivity required for the measurement.

How can relative error be minimized in scientific measurements?

To minimize relative error, scientists can use more accurate and precise measurement instruments, reduce sources of error such as human error or environmental factors, and repeat measurements multiple times to ensure consistency.