Find radial velocity of star from orbiting body

In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate the radial velocity of a star in a 2-body system, given the mass and eccentricity of both objects. The formula for finding the barycenter between the two objects is mentioned, but the method for finding the orbit of the first body is unclear. One suggestion is to find the orbit of the combined masses and then the orbit of the star. The idea of using Kepler's laws and numerical differentiation is also mentioned. The conversation ends with a plea for help in solving this problem.
luma
How do I get radial velocity of a star given a single body orbiting it in a 2-body system?

I have the mass of both objects and for the second object it's eccentricity. Assume everything else is default or zero like the mean eccentricity.

I compute the barycenter between the star and smaller star/planet by,

[tex]R = \frac{m_1 p_1}{M} + \frac{m_2 p_2}{M} [/tex]

where M = m_1 + m_2 and p = position of body

But we don't know the orbit of the first body so how can I find this?

Let's say I have the orbit for the combined masses and then find the orbit for the star.

r(theta) = r(0) * (1 + e) / (1 + e cos theta)

I can then find the radial velocity over time by stepping through that equation in time by,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keplers_laws#Position_as_a_function_of_time

And find it's offset from the origin, and compare small changes in position over time to numerically differentiate and hence find the velocity and then take the y component to find radial velocity...

Or could I use [tex]\frac{d (1/2 r^2 \theta)}{dt} = 0[/tex] somehow?

That's it, just a bunch of disconnected thoughts and no connected method. Help me out, would love to solve this :p

Astronomy news on Phys.org
dun dun

dun dun

Related to Find radial velocity of star from orbiting body

1. What is radial velocity and how is it measured?

Radial velocity is the speed at which a star moves towards or away from an observer. It is measured by analyzing the Doppler shift in the star's spectral lines. As the star moves, its spectral lines will shift towards the red (if moving away) or blue (if moving towards) end of the spectrum. This shift can be measured using a spectrograph.

2. Why is it important to measure the radial velocity of stars?

Measuring the radial velocity of stars can provide valuable information about their motion and position in relation to other objects. It can also help determine the presence of planets orbiting around the star, as the gravitational pull of a planet can cause the star to wobble and result in a measurable change in its radial velocity.

3. How is the radial velocity of a star affected by the presence of planets?

If a star has planets orbiting around it, the gravitational pull of these planets will cause the star to move in a wobbling motion. This wobbling motion will result in a periodic change in the star's radial velocity, which can be measured and used to infer the presence and characteristics of the planets.

4. Can the radial velocity method be used to detect all types of planets?

The radial velocity method is most effective in detecting large, massive planets that are relatively close to their host stars. This is because the gravitational pull of these planets causes a more significant wobble in the star, making it easier to measure the change in radial velocity. Smaller, Earth-sized planets are more challenging to detect using this method.

5. How do scientists use the radial velocity method to search for habitable planets?

Scientists use the radial velocity method to search for habitable planets by looking for small, periodic variations in the radial velocity of a star that may indicate the presence of an Earth-like planet in its habitable zone. By studying the changes in the star's radial velocity, scientists can also determine the planet's mass and orbital period, which can provide valuable insights into its potential habitability.