Find (practical) current source constants, I and R

In summary, the practical current source has a current of 22 A and a terminal voltage of 390.3 V when loaded with 50 \Omega. The source constants, I and R, can be obtained using the equations V=I\times R and R=\frac{V}{I_R}=\frac{V}{I-I_{load}}. When considering the practical current source as a black box, the current outside should be taken as I_{load} in order to get the correct solution.
courteous

Homework Statement

A practical current source has a current of [tex]22 A[/tex]. Loading the source with [tex]50 \Omega[/tex] results in terminal voltage of [tex]390.3 V[/tex]. Obtain the source constants, I and R.

Homework Equations

[tex]V=I\times R[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

In my clumsy picture below, shouldn't [tex]I_{load}[/tex] be replaced by the [tex]I[/tex] of the "practical current source"? That is, isn't a "practical current source" as a black box, and we can only "see" the outside current?
[PLAIN]http://img51.imageshack.us/img51/1466/dsc01001ni.jpg

Only if I take the current outside as [tex]I_{load}[/tex] (and not as the [tex]I[/tex] itself) do I get the correct solution:
[tex]I_{load}=\frac{V}{R_{load}}=\frac{390.3V}{50 \Omega}=7.806 A[/tex]

[tex]R=\frac{V}{I_R}=\frac{V}{I-I_{load}}=\frac{390.3 V}{22A - 7.806 A}\dot{=}27.5 \Omega[/tex]

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Everything looks good to me.

Except this:
courteous said:
In my clumsy picture above, shouldn't [tex]I_{load}[/tex] be replaced by the [tex]I[/tex] of the "practical current source"? That is, isn't a "practical current source" as a black box, and we can only "see" the outside current?

Related to Find (practical) current source constants, I and R

1. How do you find the practical current source constant?

To find the practical current source constant, you will need to first determine the value of the current (I) and resistance (R) in the circuit. Once you have these values, you can use the formula I = V/R to calculate the current source constant.

2. What is the significance of the current source constant?

The current source constant is an important parameter in a circuit as it represents the maximum amount of current that can flow through the circuit. It is also used to calculate other important parameters such as voltage drop and power dissipation.

3. How do you measure the current source constant in a circuit?

The current source constant can be measured by using a multimeter to measure the current (I) and resistance (R) in the circuit. Once these values are known, the current source constant can be calculated using the formula I = V/R.

4. How does the current source constant affect the overall performance of a circuit?

The current source constant plays a crucial role in determining the overall performance of a circuit. It affects the amount of current that can flow through the circuit, which in turn affects the voltage drop and power dissipation. A higher current source constant can lead to better performance, but it also means that the circuit may consume more power.

5. Are there any factors that can affect the accuracy of the current source constant?

Yes, there are several factors that can affect the accuracy of the current source constant, such as temperature, component tolerances, and external interference. It is important to consider these factors when measuring or calculating the current source constant to ensure accurate results.