Find perpendicular vectors and angles

In summary: Thanks :)Next question:In summary,I'm awful with vectors. I know the dot product rule and the uses to find perpendicular vectors and angles. I know about multiplying vectors (a1b1 + a2b2 + a3b3). I know vector arithmetic.But I can't do:r = 8i + 12j + 14k + t(i + j - k)where t is a parameter
thomas49th

Homework Statement

I'm awful with vectors. I know the dot product rule and the uses to find perpendicular vectors and angles. I know about multiplying vectors (a1b1 + a2b2 + a3b3). I know vector arithmetic.

But i can't do:

r = 8i + 12j + 14k + t(i + j - k)

where t is a parameter

The point A has co-ordinates (4,8,a), where a is a constant. The point B has co-ordinates (b,13,13), where b is a constant. Points A and B lie on the line l1.

a) Find the values a and b

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Well i presume i need to find the parameter t first... how? I don't have enough information do i?

Physics news on Phys.org
thomas49th said:
But i can't do:

where t is a parameter
Can't do what?

The point A has co-ordinates (4,8,a), where a is a constant. The point B has co-ordinates (b,13,13), where b is a constant. Points A and B lie on the line l1.

What line? And what does this have to do with r above?

sorry the question is

The line l1 has vector equation:

where t is a parameter

My bad. (I realized what you meant shortly after I posted.)

Think of it this way: All points on that line must satisfy the parametric equations:
x = 8 + t
y = 12 + t
z = 14 - t
(where t is just a parameter that takes on all real values.)

Since points A and B are on that line, they must satisfy those three equations. See what you can deduce from that. Hint: Start by finding the value of the parameter t for each point. (You have all the information needed.)

4 = 8 + t
8 = 12 + t
a = 14 + t

b = 8 + t
13 = 12 + t
13 = 14 + tpoint a t = -4
point b t = 9

a = 18, b = 9

Okay cheeers :)

Next question:

Given that point O is the origin, and that the point P lies on l1 such that OP is perpendicular to l1

b) Find the coordinates of P

i've sketched a graph of it. using the dot product rule, a.b =0 (0 as it's cos(90))

so does that mean vector a x vector b = 0?

Where exactly now?

Sorry for the delay--I forgot that you had a second question.

thomas49th said:
Next question:

Given that point O is the origin, and that the point P lies on l1 such that OP is perpendicular to l1

b) Find the coordinates of P

i've sketched a graph of it. using the dot product rule, a.b =0 (0 as it's cos(90))

so does that mean vector a x vector b = 0?
No. The cross product will not be zero, only the dot product.

Call the point P (x, y, z). Thus the vector OP is (x, y, z). That point must satisfy two conditions:
(1) The vector OP must be perpendicular to the line, thus its dot product with a vector parallel to the line must be zero. (Find a vector parallel to the line--any one will do.)
(2) The point P must be on line, thus satisfy the same parametric equations from before. (Solve for t.)

Related to Find perpendicular vectors and angles

1. How do you find the perpendicular vector to a given vector?

To find a perpendicular vector, we can use the cross product of two non-parallel vectors. This will result in a vector that is perpendicular to both of the original vectors. Another method is to take the negative reciprocal of the slope of the given vector to find a perpendicular vector in 2D space.

2. How do you determine if two vectors are perpendicular to each other?

To determine if two vectors are perpendicular, we can use the dot product. If the dot product of the two vectors is equal to 0, then they are perpendicular. Another method is to calculate the angle between the two vectors. If the angle is 90 degrees, then they are perpendicular.

3. How do you find the angle between two vectors?

To find the angle between two vectors, we can use the dot product formula: θ = cos⁻¹(a · b / |a||b|), where a and b are the two vectors and |a| and |b| represent their magnitudes. Another method is to use the cross product and take the inverse sine of the magnitude of the cross product divided by the product of the magnitudes of the two vectors.

4. Can you have more than one perpendicular vector to a given vector?

Yes, in 3D space, there can be an infinite number of perpendicular vectors to a given vector. This is because there are many different directions that can be considered perpendicular in three dimensions.

5. How can knowing about perpendicular vectors and angles be useful in real life applications?

Perpendicular vectors and angles are commonly used in fields such as physics, engineering, and architecture. They are used to determine the direction of forces, to calculate the angle of elevation or depression, and to construct buildings and structures that are stable and balanced. They are also used in computer graphics, robotics, and navigation systems.