Find P: P corresponds to prime digits

• Thread starter rajesh
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Prime
In summary, the given problem of finding the value of P, where P corresponds to prime digits, is impossible as it leads to contradictions. No solution can be found for the given equations and the value of P cannot be determined.
rajesh
P corresponds to prime digits(i donno what thi means...i am giving exactly as given in a test)

7P5
x33
---------
PPPP
PPPP
----------
PPPPP

Find the value of P?

Physics news on Phys.org
rajesh said:
P corresponds to prime digits(i donno what thi means...i am giving exactly as given in a test)

7P5
x33
---------
PPPP
PPPP
----------
PPPPP

Find the value of P?

Let's suppose P is a string of digits.
From 5x3 -> P ends in a '5'
From PPPP+PPPP = PPPPP -> P ends in a '0'

So it's impossible.

actually i could not put the correct indentation(i am new to this site)...

somebody tell me how to attach a file

Is this what you want ?

Code:
             7 P 5
             x 3 3
         ---------
           P P P P             
         P P P P
        ----------
         P P P P P

Even with the indentation (enclose within [ code] [ /code] tags), there would be no solution, as you would have PPPP + PPPP0 = PPPPP.

Why is this impossible ?

PPPP -> 1000P+100P+10P+P = 1111P and similarly PPPP0 ->11110P, so adding should give 12221P, but clearly PPPPP -> 11111P, a contradiction, unless P=0. But clearly P can't be 0.

I think you haven't copied the problem down correctly...

Here's another reason why this is wrong (if you're not happy with the previous ones) :

700 X 33 = 23100
800 X 33 = 26400

So clearly 7P5 X 33 must be in the 2 thousands, therefore P must be 2. But also, any multiple of 5 must end with 5, so P must be 5. A contradiction !

Last edited:

Related to Find P: P corresponds to prime digits

1. What is the definition of "prime digits" in this context?

The term "prime digits" refers to the digits 2, 3, 5, and 7, as they are the only single-digit numbers that are prime (divisible only by 1 and themselves).

2. How do you find P when given a set of numbers?

To find P, you must first identify all the prime digits in the set of numbers. Then, you need to arrange these prime digits in a specific order to form a single number. This number is the value of P corresponding to the set of numbers.

3. What is the significance of finding P in a set of numbers?

Finding P can help identify patterns or relationships between numbers in a set. It can also be used to test the primality of a number, as any number that is divisible by any other digit besides 1 and itself cannot be P.

4. Can P correspond to more than one set of numbers?

Yes, it is possible for P to correspond to multiple sets of numbers. This can occur if the same set of prime digits can be arranged in different orders to form different values of P.

5. How is finding P related to prime numbers?

Finding P is related to prime numbers because P is a prime number itself. It is the smallest prime number that can be formed using only prime digits. Additionally, P can be used to identify other prime numbers by testing if they are divisible by P.