Find Orthogonal Compliment to Span({[1 -1 1]T, [1 1 0]})

• Thread starter 03125
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Orthogonal
In summary, To find the orthogonal complement to the span of two given vectors, one can use the fact that the transpose of a matrix is equal to the null space of the matrix. Alternatively, one can use the fact that the cross product of the two vectors will give a vector perpendicular to both, which can then be used as the basis for the orthogonal complement. It is important to note that if the given vectors are written as column vectors, they should both have transposes denoted by the T symbol.

Homework Statement

Find the orthogonal compliment to Span({[1 -1 1]T, [1 1 0]})

Homework Equations

V(transpose)=Null(A)
u*v=<u,v>=U(transpose)v

The Attempt at a Solution

I need help understanding the notation of this problem, I am not sure what my MTX A will look like? I cannot find any problem like this in my book. This is a practice problem written by a different professor than the one teaching my class and his notation in general confuses me because I am not familiar with it.

I know that to solve for the transpose of A I reduce A to echelon form and then find the basis for the solution space Null(A) of Ax=0 Because V(transpose)=Null(A), which is the basis of the orthogonal complement of V (V being my row vectors v_1, v_2, ...,v_m of A)

Any help appreciated, thank you!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

how about using a cross product?

lanedance said:
how about using a cross product?
Perhaps you'd like to elaborate, that's not in my book and I don't know how that would work.

03125 said:

Homework Statement

Find the orthogonal compliment to Span({[1 -1 1]^T, [1 1 0]})

also it should probably be
Find the orthogonal compliment to Span({[1 -1 1]T, [1 1 0]T})

each of the T's means transpose, as they represent column vectors

lanedance said:
also it should probably be
Find the orthogonal compliment to Span({[1 -1 1]T, [1 1 0]T})

each of the T's means transpose, as they represent column vectors

Yeah I wasn't sure how to make the T, thanks for showing me. As the problem is stated it is written "Find the orthogonal compliment to Span({[1 -1 1]T, [1 1 0]})"

lets call the 2 vectors in the span v1,v2. As we know the dimension of the space is 3 and there are 2 vectors, then a single vector will span the perpindicular complement, let's call it u.

you could approach this problem 2 ways

first is to use the fact that u is perpindicular to v1 & v2
<u,v1> = <u,v2> = 0
then write out the simultaneous equations and solve. This is in essence what you are doing with the matrix A.

the 2nd is to use the fact that the cross product (v1 x v2), gives a vector perpindicular to v1 & v2, which must be u (up to a multiplicative constant). Disregard this if you haven't covered cross products though.

03125 said:
Yeah I wasn't sure how to make the T, thanks for showing me. As the problem is stated it is written "Find the orthogonal compliment to Span({[1 -1 1]T, [1 1 0]})"

its probably a typo, they should both have T's i think

Related to Find Orthogonal Compliment to Span({[1 -1 1]T, [1 1 0]})

1. What is an orthogonal compliment?

An orthogonal compliment is the set of all vectors that are perpendicular (or orthogonal) to a given vector or set of vectors. In other words, it is the set of all vectors that have a dot product of 0 with the given vector or set of vectors.

2. How do you find the orthogonal compliment?

To find the orthogonal compliment, you can use the Gram-Schmidt process, which involves finding a set of orthogonal vectors that span the same subspace as the given vector or set of vectors. Another method is to use the null space of the matrix formed by the given vector or set of vectors.

3. What is the span of a vector or set of vectors?

The span of a vector or set of vectors is the set of all possible linear combinations of those vectors. It represents the subspace that is formed by those vectors.

4. How many vectors are in the orthogonal compliment to Span({[1 -1 1]T, [1 1 0]})?

The orthogonal compliment to Span({[1 -1 1]T, [1 1 0]}) is a subspace of the same dimension as the original vector space. Since the given set of vectors has 2 linearly independent vectors in a 3-dimensional space, the orthogonal compliment will have 1 vector.

5. Can you find the orthogonal compliment to a set of non-orthogonal vectors?

Yes, it is possible to find the orthogonal compliment to a set of non-orthogonal vectors. However, the process may be more complex and involve additional steps, such as using the Gram-Schmidt process to orthogonalize the vectors first.