Find Order of Accuracy: Solve Mistake Worried

• MHB
  • Thread starter evinda
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Accuracy
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the order of accuracy of a method given certain values and calculations. The mistake in the calculation is identified and corrected, resulting in an order of accuracy of 1.
evinda
Gold Member
MHB
Hello! (Wave)

Suppose that we are given $h_1=0.1 \to \delta_1=0.01$ and $h_2=0.05 \to \delta_2=0.025$ and we want to find the order of accuracy of the method.
I have tried the following:

$\delta_1^n= c h_1^{p+1}, \delta_2^n=c h_2^{p+1} \Rightarrow p+1= \frac{\log \left( \frac{\delta_1^n}{\delta_2^n}\right)}{\log \left( \frac{h_1}{h_2} \right)}= \frac{\log 2- \log 5}{\log 2} \Rightarrow p= \frac{- \log 2}{\log 5}$.

But the result should be 1. Where is my mistake? (Worried)

Mathematics news on Phys.org
evinda said:
Hello! (Wave)

Suppose that we are given $h_1=0.1 \to \delta_1=0.01$ and $h_2=0.05 \to \delta_2=0.025$ and we want to find the order of accuracy of the method.
I have tried the following:

$\delta_1^n= c h_1^{p+1}, \delta_2^n=c h_2^{p+1} \Rightarrow p+1= \frac{\log \left( \frac{\delta_1^n}{\delta_2^n}\right)}{\log \left( \frac{h_1}{h_2} \right)}= \frac{\log 2- \log 5}{\log 2} \Rightarrow p= \frac{- \log 2}{\log 5}$.

But the result should be 1. Where is my mistake? (Worried)

Hey! (Smile)

Since $h_2$ is smaller than $h_1$, I'd expect $\delta_2$ to be smaller than $\delta_1$. :eek:

Perhaps it should be:
$$p+1= \frac{\log \left( \frac{\delta_1}{\delta_2}\right)}{\log \left( \frac{h_1}{h_2} \right)}
=\frac{\log \left( \frac{0.01}{0.0025}\right)}{\log \left( \frac{0.1}{0.05} \right)}
= \frac{\log 4}{\log 2} = 2 \qquad\Rightarrow\qquad p = 1$$
(Wondering)

Related to Find Order of Accuracy: Solve Mistake Worried

1. What is the purpose of finding the order of accuracy?

Finding the order of accuracy is important in determining the accuracy and reliability of a numerical method or model. It helps in understanding the rate at which the error decreases as the step size decreases.

2. How is the order of accuracy calculated?

The order of accuracy is calculated by using the error formula and comparing the results with different step sizes. The slope of the error vs. step size graph gives the order of accuracy.

3. What is a common mistake when solving for the order of accuracy?

A common mistake is not using small enough step sizes. The error may not decrease significantly with larger step sizes, making it difficult to accurately determine the order of accuracy.

4. Why should I be worried if I am not getting the expected order of accuracy?

If the expected order of accuracy is not achieved, it indicates that there may be errors in the implementation of the numerical method or model. It is important to identify and correct these errors in order to improve the accuracy and reliability of the results.

5. Can the order of accuracy be greater than 1?

Yes, the order of accuracy can be greater than 1. A higher order of accuracy indicates a more accurate numerical method or model.