Find Nucleus Radius: Mass vs. Formula

In summary, to find the radius of a nucleus when given the mass, one must make certain assumptions such as constant density and a spherical shape. Measured values for the radii of select nuclei can be found from the IAEA. One possible formula for calculating the radius is R = 1.2 A^(1/3), where A is the mass divided by the average mass of a nucleon. However, this is essentially the same as using the formula R = const * (mass/density)^(1/3).
niamh
How do I find the radius of the nucleus if given the mass? I am asked to compare it with the value found using the formula R= 1.2 A^(1/3)

Physics news on Phys.org
you have to take into assumption some stuff...
For example you'll have to assume that the nuclei have constant density...
and you'll have to assume that their shape is given (to be spherical)...

Measured values for the radii of select nuclei are available from the IAEA.

That's what I was thinking using the relation mass=volume x density, but if I don't know the density how can I use this relation?

I think all formulas are basically another way to calculate R= 1.2 A^(1/3) . Sure, you can replace A by the mass divided by the (average) mass of a nucleon, and get a formula like R= const* (mass/density)^(1/3), but that is nothing new.

Related to Find Nucleus Radius: Mass vs. Formula

1. How do you find the nucleus radius using mass and formula?

The nucleus radius can be found using the formula r = r0*A^(1/3), where r0 is a constant equal to approximately 1.2 x 10^-15 meters and A is the mass number of the nucleus. This formula is based on the assumption that the nucleus is a uniform sphere.

2. Why is the mass number of the nucleus important in finding the radius?

The mass number of the nucleus, denoted by the symbol A, is the total number of protons and neutrons in the nucleus. This number is important because it determines the size of the nucleus and therefore affects the radius calculation.

3. Can the nucleus radius be measured directly?

No, the nucleus radius cannot be measured directly due to its extremely small size. However, it can be estimated using mathematical formulas based on the mass and charge of the nucleus.

4. How does the mass of the nucleus affect its radius?

The mass of the nucleus is directly proportional to its radius. This means that as the mass of the nucleus increases, its radius also increases. This is because a larger mass number indicates a larger number of protons and neutrons, which results in a larger nucleus size.

5. Are there any limitations to using the mass vs. formula method to find the nucleus radius?

Yes, there are some limitations to this method as it assumes that the nucleus is a uniform sphere. However, in reality, the nucleus may have a non-uniform distribution of protons and neutrons, which can affect the accuracy of the radius calculation. Additionally, this method does not take into account the effects of nuclear forces and other factors that may influence the size of the nucleus.