Find minimum initial velocity of object

In summary, the minimum initial velocity needed for a ball starting from the middle-top of a semicircular mound with radius R to go over without touching the mound, with only a horizontal component, is v=√(4.9R). This was solved using the formula v=d/t and substituting R for d. Then, plugging in the value of t from this equation into the formula "\Deltad=vt+.5at^{2}", we can solve for v. It is possible that a formula for circular motion could also be used, but this method works as well.
rajesan

Homework Statement

Find the minimum initial velocity needed for a ball starting from the middle-top (highest point) of a semicircular mound with radius R to go over without touching the mound if the initial velocity has only a horizontal component.

Homework Equations

v=d/t

The Attempt at a Solution

this was a question on a test i just had. i didn't have time to prepare to well for this test so i have no idea how i did. i just used the formula v=d/t and substituted the variable R (radius) for d. then i solved fort which equaled t=R/v. then i plugged this value of t into the formula
"[tex]\Delta[/tex]d=vt+.5at[tex]^{2}[/tex]. with this i just solved for v and i got v=[tex]\sqrt{4.9R}[/tex]. I am pretty sure it is wrong and that i was supposed to use some formula for circular motion or something. could you please help me figure this question out?

Physics news on Phys.org
You've got it!

Your approach is on the right track, but there are a few issues with your solution. First, the formula v=d/t is for constant velocity, but in this problem, the velocity is changing due to gravity. So we need to use a different formula that takes into account acceleration.

Secondly, the formula you used, "\Deltad=vt+.5at^{2}, is for motion with constant acceleration, but in this problem, the acceleration is not constant (it changes as the ball moves along the semicircular mound).

To solve this problem, we can use conservation of energy. At the top of the mound, the ball has only potential energy (due to its height), and at the bottom of the mound, it has both potential and kinetic energy. We can set these two energies equal to each other and solve for the minimum initial velocity.

So the equation would be: mgh = 1/2mv^2, where m is the mass of the ball, g is the acceleration due to gravity, h is the height of the mound (which is equal to the radius R), and v is the initial velocity.

Solving for v, we get v = √(2gh) = √(2gR).

So the minimum initial velocity needed for the ball to go over the mound without touching it is √(2gR).

Note that this is the minimum velocity needed for the ball to just barely make it over the mound. If the initial velocity is slightly lower than this, the ball will touch the mound.

Related to Find minimum initial velocity of object

1. What is the formula for finding the minimum initial velocity of an object?

The formula for finding the minimum initial velocity of an object is: Vmin = √(2gh), where Vmin is the minimum initial velocity, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2), and h is the height of the object.

2. How do you determine the minimum initial velocity of an object from a given height?

The minimum initial velocity of an object can be determined by using the formula Vmin = √(2gh), where g is the acceleration due to gravity and h is the height of the object. Simply plug in the values for g and h and solve for Vmin.

3. Can the minimum initial velocity be negative?

No, the minimum initial velocity cannot be negative. This is because velocity is a vector quantity and has both magnitude and direction. The minimum initial velocity represents the minimum speed needed for the object to reach a certain height, so it must always be positive.

4. What factors affect the minimum initial velocity of an object?

The minimum initial velocity of an object is affected by two main factors: the height of the object and the acceleration due to gravity. The higher the object, the greater the minimum initial velocity needed. Similarly, the stronger the acceleration due to gravity, the higher the minimum initial velocity required.

5. Why is it important to find the minimum initial velocity of an object?

It is important to find the minimum initial velocity of an object in order to ensure that the object reaches a desired height. This can be useful for various applications, such as launching a rocket into space or calculating the speed needed for a rollercoaster to reach a certain peak. It also helps in understanding the relationship between velocity, height, and gravity.