Find Min Distance Parent & Child on Water Slide Problem

• Thread starter aeromat
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Slide
In summary: as moving farther away from the parabola it is closer to the edge of the pool, so the "r" value gets smaller and smaller.
aeromat

Homework Statement

A parent takes their child to a water slide which is shaped similar to a portion of a parabola (see diagram). There is an elevator 3m from the edge of the pool. The elevator takes the rider to the top of the slide which is 19m above ground. The rider slides down and falls into pool from height of 1m. The parent (he is 2m tall) is standing 1m from the elevator and wishes to take a picture of the child when they are closest to the parent. What is the MIN. distance between parent and child?

The Attempt at a Solution

I sketched out the diagram attached. I know that the y-axis represents the the height that he started at; (0,19). I believe at the very edge of the slide is the vertex, and in this case (9.5,1). Based on symmetry, the parabola would also have (19,19) as a point.

But now I am stuck. I don't know what strategy to pursue in order to obtain this minimum distance.

EDIT: I know eqs:
s(t) = 0.199x^2 - 3.79x + 19
v(t) = s'(t) = 0.398x - 3.79

Attachments

• In-classAssignmentQuestion.png
    In-classAssignmentQuestion.png
    1.4 KB · Views: 396
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
aeromat said:

Homework Statement

A parent takes their child to a water slide which is shaped similar to a portion of a parabola (see diagram). There is an elevator 3m from the edge of the pool. The elevator takes the rider to the top of the slide which is 19m above ground. The rider slides down and falls into pool from height of 1m. The parent (he is 2m tall) is standing 1m from the elevator and wishes to take a picture of the child when they are closest to the parent. What is the MIN. distance between parent and child?

The Attempt at a Solution

I sketched out the diagram attached. I know that the y-axis represents the the height that he started at; (0,19). I believe at the very edge of the slide is the vertex, and in this case (9.5,1). Based on symmetry, the parabola would also have (19,19) as a point.

But now I am stuck. I don't know what strategy to pursue in order to obtain this minimum distance.

EDIT: I know eqs:
s(t) = 0.199x^2 - 3.79x + 19
v(t) = s'(t) = 0.398x - 3.79

Sorry but where's the diagram?

Oh I thought I uploaded it already. It is up there now.

Here is extra work done:
Ok here is the quadratic equation without any rounding done:

0.199445983x^2 - 3.789473684x + 19 = f(x)
f(9.5) = 0.999999968 ≈ 1

I know that the following points would be on the parabola, had it been complete; "x"-values expressed throughout the entire cartesian domain:

(0,19), (19,19), (9.5,1)

Eq1: c = 19
Eq2: (19)^2 a + 19b + c = 0
Eq2: 361a + 19b + 19 = 19
Eq3: (9.5)^2a + 9.5b + c = 1
Eq3: 90.25a + 9.5b + 19 = 1

Divided Eq2 by 2 to eliminate b:
[2] - [3]
[2] 180.5a + 9.5b = 0
[3] 90.25a + 9.5b = -18
-----------------------
90.25a + 0 = -18

Solve for a, and I get:
a = 0.199445983

Sub back into solve for b, using Eq[1]
90.25(0.199445983) + 9.5b + 19 = 1
18 + 9.5b + 19 = 1

Solve for b, and I get:
b = -3.789473684

Therefore, the equation of the parabola is:
0.199445983x^2 - 3.789473684x + 19 = f(x)

Taking the derivative of this function:
f'(x) = 0.398891966x - 3.789473684

To find the equation of the parabola, you can take a shortcut and make things a lot easier by using the fact that (9.5,1) is at the vertex (by the way, how do you know this? Was it given? Because I can't seem to find how you deduced this from the information given) instead of solving for the coefficients in [tex]y=ax^2+bx+c[/tex], you can instead solve for the coefficients in [tex]y=a(x-k)^2+h[/tex] where k=9.5, h=1 and now you only have a to solve for, which you can do by plugging in (0,19).

So the parabola is (after expanding into the general quadratic form) is what you got. Now, to find the minimum distance between the parent at (1,2) and the slide, you'll need to equate the parabola with a circle centred at (1,2) with unknown radius r. Then you'll solve for r and keep in mind the circle will be touching the parabola in only one spot.

If given only the coordinates of the centre of a circle, how would we solve for the "r" value in the circle equation?

Also, how does this make sense? I don't understand why we would use a circle to get the minimum distance.

aeromat said:
If given only the coordinates of the centre of a circle, how would we solve for the "r" value in the circle equation?

Also, how does this make sense? I don't understand why we would use a circle to get the minimum distance.

Because of the geometry of the circle and the parabola, they are capable of touching in one spot. As the circle grows you can think of it as the distance from the parent, and to find the minimum distance from the child on the parabola, just find where the circle grows till it touches the parabola just once (if it grows more than this, it'll touch the parabola in 2 spots).
Anyway, to find the x-coordinate of the circle and the parabola (it will be in terms of r) just equate them.

Actually, now I noticed it'll turn out to be a quartic that you need to solve. Oh I was expecting a quadratic... ok this method isn't going to work. We'll try another!

---

Do you know calculus? What you can do is take a line with gradient m passing through the point of the parent, find the derivative of the parabola and then take a gradient of -1/m (perpendicular to gradient m) that is tangent on the parabola, then find where these intersect.

Wait one minute. I am posting something.

Related to Find Min Distance Parent & Child on Water Slide Problem

1. What is the "Find Min Distance Parent & Child on Water Slide Problem"?

The "Find Min Distance Parent & Child on Water Slide Problem" is a mathematical and computational problem that involves finding the minimum distance between a parent and child on a water slide, given their positions and the shape of the slide. It is often used as a real-life example in computer science and optimization algorithms.

2. Why is this problem important?

This problem is important because it has practical applications in real-life scenarios, such as designing water slides and amusement park rides, and optimizing the flow of people in crowded spaces. It also serves as a useful exercise in algorithmic thinking and problem solving.

3. What are the main challenges in solving this problem?

The main challenges in solving this problem include determining the mathematical representation of the water slide, defining the variables and constraints, and finding an efficient algorithm to calculate the minimum distance between the parent and child. Additionally, the solution may need to consider factors such as the speed of the parent and child, gravitational pull, and friction.

4. What are some possible approaches to solving this problem?

There are several approaches that can be used to solve this problem. One approach is to use a physics-based model to simulate the movement of the parent and child on the water slide. Another approach is to use optimization algorithms, such as dynamic programming or gradient descent, to find the minimum distance. Additionally, machine learning techniques can be applied to analyze and predict the movements of the parent and child on the water slide.

5. How can this problem be extended or modified?

This problem can be extended or modified in various ways, depending on the specific needs and applications. For example, the problem can be modified to include multiple parents and children on the water slide, or to consider different shapes and slopes of the slide. It can also be extended to include additional constraints, such as the weight and size of the parent and child, or the presence of obstacles on the slide.