Find Maximum Likelihood Estimator of Gamma Distribution

In summary, the maximum likelihood estimator (MLE) of a gamma distribution is calculated by taking the derivative of the log-likelihood function with respect to the shape and scale parameters, setting them equal to 0, and solving for the parameters. The purpose of finding the MLE of a gamma distribution is to estimate the parameters that best fit a set of data to a gamma distribution, allowing for more accurate predictions and insights about the underlying population. Assumptions made when using the MLE of a gamma distribution include data independence and identical distribution, and observations being drawn from a gamma distribution. The MLE is considered to be the most efficient method of estimating parameters, though it may not always be the most accurate and can be influenced by outliers. It
Ceci020
Given
f(x; β) = [ 1/( β^2) ] * x * e^(-x/ β) for 0 < x < infinity
EX = 2β and VarX = 2(β^2)
Questions: Find the Maximum likelihood estimator of β (I call it β''), then find Bias and variance of this β''

1/ First, I believe this is a gamma distribution with alpha = 2. Is that right?

2/ Find Maximum likelihood estimator of β
- First, I get the likelihood function L(β) = product of all the f(xi; β)
- After doing all arithmetic, I get
L(β) = β^(-2n) * (x1 * x2 * … *xn) * e^ [(-1/ β) * (x1 + x2 +…+xn)]
- Then I take the log function of L(β), I call it l(β), find derivative of this l(β), equate the derivative to 0 and solve. I get the MLE is (1/n * (x1 + x2+ … + xn)) / 2 = (sample mean )/2.

Am I correct till this point?

3/ If the given said EX = 2 β, can I assume that X must be 2 β, and thus for the population, β is X / 2 ??

4/ I think this MLE is not bias, but I get confused when I try to find the Variance of the MLE. For β'', I believe that I should find E(β’' ^ 2) – [ E(β’') ] ^2. But from here, my question is that should I use the fact that β’' is (sample mean) / 2, then just plug in and solve ? Or should I do integration?

Because I think since this distribution is continuous, isn’t it that E(anything) is integration of that “anything” with f(x)dx ??

Please help me, thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
.1/ Yes, you are correct. The given function is indeed a gamma distribution with alpha = 2.

2/ Yes, you are correct till this point. Your method for finding the MLE is correct.

3/ No, you cannot assume that X must be 2 β. The given information only tells you the expected value of X, not the actual value of X. The MLE for β is the sample mean divided by 2, but this does not mean that the population mean is necessarily equal to 2 β. It is possible that the population mean is different from 2 β.

4/ To find the variance of the MLE, you can use the fact that the variance of a sample mean is equal to the population variance divided by the sample size, which in this case is n. So, the variance of the MLE, denoted as Var(β''), would be Var(β'') = Var(X/2) = Var(X)/4 = (2β^2)/4 = (β^2)/2. This means that the MLE is unbiased, as the expected value of the MLE is equal to the true parameter β.

You do not need to use integration to find the variance of the MLE. You can simply use the properties of variance and the fact that the sample mean is a consistent estimator of the population mean.

Related to Find Maximum Likelihood Estimator of Gamma Distribution

1. How is the maximum likelihood estimator (MLE) of a gamma distribution calculated?

The MLE of a gamma distribution is calculated by taking the derivative of the log-likelihood function with respect to the shape and scale parameters, setting them equal to 0, and solving for the parameters.

2. What is the purpose of finding the MLE of a gamma distribution?

The MLE of a gamma distribution is used to estimate the parameters that best fit a set of data to a gamma distribution. This allows for more accurate predictions and insights about the underlying population.

3. What assumptions are made when using the MLE of a gamma distribution?

The MLE assumes that the data is independent and identically distributed, and that the observations are drawn from a gamma distribution.

4. How does the MLE of a gamma distribution compare to other methods of estimating parameters?

The MLE is considered to be the most efficient method of estimating parameters, as it maximizes the likelihood of the observed data. However, it may not always be the most accurate method and can be influenced by outliers in the data.

5. Can the MLE of a gamma distribution be calculated by hand?

Yes, the MLE can be calculated by hand using mathematical equations and techniques. However, it is more commonly calculated using statistical software due to the complexity of the calculations and the potential for errors.