Find Mass and Speed given Tension and Angle

In summary, the question asks for all answers to be written given the constants L, the length of the chain, T, the tension of the chain, and Theta, the angle above the horizontal that the chain is at. Given that the diameter of the disc is 2L, the chain is L, the angle is Theta, the tension between seat and disc is T, and the speed of rotation is constant, determine the mass of a seat and the speed of that seat.
geek96boolea10

Homework Statement

Imagine one of those amusement park rides where you have a large rotating disc with seats hung by chains around it. As the disc spins, the seats also spin whilst rising up as well. The question asks for all answers to be written given the constants L, the length of the chain, T, the tension of the chain, and Theta, the angle above the horizontal that the chain is at. Given that the diameter of the disc is 2L, the chain is L, the angle is Theta, the tension between seat and disc is T, and the speed of rotation is constant, determine the mass of a seat and the speed of that seat.

Homework Equations

I'm pretty sure F=mv2/r is important. Lcos(theta) and Lsin(theta) are also useful in some way.

The Attempt at a Solution

My solution attempt was to simply expand F=mv2/r, replacing what I could. I ended up with the equation:
mv2 = T/(L+Lcos(theta)) which can be changed to m= or v2= pretty easily. However, they both include either m or v, which are not allowed since they aren't given constants. I'm sure that I've been using the wrong equation or that I'm missing some fundamental equality that would make this super easy - help!

Physics news on Phys.org
geek96boolea10 said:
and Theta, the angle above the horizontal that the chain is at
The angle above the horizontal? Do you mean the angle below the horizontal? (I just want to make sure we're imagining the same ride.)

geek96boolea10 said:
the angle above the horizontal that the chain is at
They won't be above the horizontal. Did you mean below horizontal, or maybe angle from vertical?
geek96boolea10 said:
I'm pretty sure F=mv2/r is important.
Yes, but what do v and r represent there in the context of this question?

Related to Find Mass and Speed given Tension and Angle

1. What is the equation for finding mass and speed given tension and angle?

The equation is m = T / g * sin(theta), where m is the mass, T is the tension, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and theta is the angle.

2. How do you calculate the tension in the scenario?

The tension can be calculated using the equation T = mg / sin(theta), where T is the tension, m is the mass, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and theta is the angle.

3. Can this equation be used for any object or only certain types?

This equation can be used for any object as long as the mass, tension, and angle are known. However, it is most commonly used for objects moving in a circular motion.

4. What units should be used for the mass, tension, and angle in the equation?

The mass should be in kilograms (kg), the tension should be in Newtons (N), and the angle should be in degrees (°).

5. How does the angle affect the calculated mass and speed?

The angle has a direct impact on the calculated mass and speed. As the angle increases, the mass and speed will also increase. This is because the higher the angle, the more tension is required to maintain the circular motion, resulting in a larger mass and faster speed.