Find Mag of Charges for 50 cm, 0.2g & 37 Degrees

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the magnitude of charges using the length of a string, mass of balls, and angle. The equations needed for the solution are provided, and the conversation also mentions calculating the force vectors and using an equation to find the charge. The final answer is confirmed to be 5.57^-15.
pawlist

Homework Statement

I need to find the magbitude of charges

Lenght of string - 50 cm
mass of balls - 0.2 grams
theeta - 37 degrees

Homework Equations

K-8.99x10^9 [/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

I found that half the distance between the balls is 15.9 cm but i don't know how to continue[/B]

Attachments

• 1441571652657222983963.jpg
    1441571652657222983963.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 424
Physics news on Phys.org
pawlist said:

Homework Statement

I need to find the magbitude of charges

Lenght of string - 50 cm
mass of balls - 0.2 grams
theeta - 37 degrees

Homework Equations

K-8.99x10^9 [/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

I found that half the distance between the balls is 15.9 cm but i don't know how to continue[/B]

Okay, first, the balls will try to move toward one another because of the combined force of gravity and tension of the string, you should calculate the force vectors on the balls and figure out the horizontal component of the forces that drives the balls to move toward one another. This force, however, failed to move the balls because an equal and opposite force is acting on each ball that is pushing them away, and this force is the electromagnetic repulsion. You find the magnitude of that force and use the equation (I don't which one but you should have learned it) to calculate the charge based on distance between charges and the amount of repulsion. Ask for clarification iyou want.

Likes pawlist
These are all of the available equations but i don't know which one to use.I uploaded an image

Attachments

• 1441573738441-2117721356.jpg
    1441573738441-2117721356.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 421
pawlist said:
These are all of the available equations but i don't know which one to use.I uploaded an image
force between point charge. You know the force and the distance, the charges should be a piece of cake to find.

Likes pawlist
My final answer is 5.57^-15 can you confirm please?

pawlist said:
My final answer is 5.57^-15 can you confirm please?
That is what I got too, but worship no authority!

Related to Find Mag of Charges for 50 cm, 0.2g & 37 Degrees

What is the formula for calculating the magnitude of charges?

The formula for calculating the magnitude of charges is Q = k * (m1 * m2) / d^2, where Q is the magnitude of the charges, k is the Coulomb's constant (9 * 10^9 N*m^2/C^2), m1 and m2 are the masses of the charges, and d is the distance between the charges.

What are the units for the magnitude of charges?

The units for the magnitude of charges are Coulombs (C).

How can I determine the mass of a charge?

To determine the mass of a charge, you can use the formula m = Q * d^2 / (k * Q), where m is the mass of the charge, Q is the magnitude of the charge, d is the distance between the charges, and k is the Coulomb's constant.

What is the importance of using the correct units in this calculation?

Using the correct units is important in this calculation because it ensures that the final result is in the appropriate unit (Coulombs). It also helps to avoid errors in the calculation.

Can this formula be used for any distance and charge values?

Yes, this formula can be used for any distance and charge values as long as the units are consistent and the correct values are plugged into the formula. However, it is important to note that the formula assumes the charges are point charges and the distance between them is small compared to the distance between the charges and any other objects.