Find Maclaurin Series for g(x): Interval of Conv.

In summary, the Maclaurin Series for g(x) = (4)/(4+2x+x^2) can be found by dividing 4 by 4+2x+x^2 and using ordinary polynomial long division. The first three terms are 1-1/2*x-1/4*x^2. Another method is to complete the square in the denominator and rewrite the fraction as a power series with first term 4/3 and common ratio (-1/3)(x+1)^2. However, this results in a Taylor's series about x=-1 instead of a Maclaurin series.
wilcofan3

Homework Statement

Find the Maclaurin Series for g(x)= (4)/(4+2x+x^2) and its interval of convergence.

Homework Equations

I know the Maclaurin Series usually involves taking derivatives but every other problem I've done so far has had a degree that I've solved to. So, other than the general equation for the Maclaurin Series, I'm not sure what other equation is relevant.

The Attempt at a Solution

At first I thought I might need to use partial fraction decomposition but then I realized the bottom did not factor easily. Do I just start taking derivatives of g(x)? And if so, where do I go from there? I would greatly appreciate a step-by-step breakdown, I think I will understand if someone breaks down the problem. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Try dividing 4 by 4 + 2x + x^2, using ordinary polynomial long division. With a Maclaurin series, however you get the series doesn't much matter, since the series representation is unique.

Doing what I suggested above, I get the first three terms as 1 - 1/2 * x - 1/4 * x^2.

Another thing you can do is this: complete the square in the denominator to write the fraction as [itex]4/((x+1)^2+ 3)[/itex]. Divide both numerator and denominator by 3 to get (4/3)/((1/3)(x+1)^2+ 1) or (4/3)/(1- (-1/3)(x+1)^2) and think of that as the sum of a power series with first term 4/3 and common ration [itex](-1/3)(x+1)^2[/itex]. That gives the general term as [itex](4/3)(-1/3)^n(x+1)^}{2n}[/itex]. Unfortunately, that is now a Taylor's series, about x=-1, rather than a MacLaurin series!

Related to Find Maclaurin Series for g(x): Interval of Conv.

1. What is a Maclaurin series?

A Maclaurin series is a special type of power series that represents a function as an infinite sum of terms. It is named after mathematician Colin Maclaurin and is often used in calculus to approximate functions.

2. How do you find the Maclaurin series for a given function?

To find the Maclaurin series for a function, you can use the Taylor series formula, which involves finding the derivatives of the function at a specific point (usually 0) and plugging them into the formula.

3. What is the interval of convergence for a Maclaurin series?

The interval of convergence for a Maclaurin series is the range of values for which the series is a valid representation of the function. It is determined by the values of x that make the series converge, and it can vary depending on the function.

4. How do you determine the interval of convergence for a Maclaurin series?

To determine the interval of convergence for a Maclaurin series, you can use the ratio test or the root test. These tests involve taking the limit of the absolute value of the terms in the series to determine the values of x for which the series converges.

5. Can a Maclaurin series be used to find the value of a function at any point?

Yes, a Maclaurin series can be used to approximate the value of a function at any point within its interval of convergence. The more terms that are included in the series, the more accurate the approximation will be.