Find largest possible volume (Extreme Value)

In summary: So taking on board HallsOfIvy's comment, what's next?You're doing fine up to here, let me write it more clearly as $$ V = \frac{\pi c^2}3 h - \frac 13 h^3 $$So taking on board HallsOfIvy's comment, what's next?
Physicsrapper
Member warned about posting homework in non-homework forum sections
Mod note: Moved from technical math section, so is missing the homework template.
A right triangle the hypotenuse of which is c revolves about a small side. A right circular cone is formed. Find the largest possible volume of the cone.

Vcone: pi*r^2*(h/3)I don't get why they mentioned the hypotenuse, since it is not even in the volume formula...
Since it is a 'right' triangle, shouldn't the maximum height of the cone be 1?
But I still don't know which extreme value I should search for...
(The solution should be: 1/(9*sqrt3) * c^3 * pi )

Could someone please help me to?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Physicsrapper said:
A right triangle the hypotenuse of which is c revolves about a small side. A right circular cone is formed. Find the largest possible volume of the cone.

Vcone: pi*r^2*(h/3)I don't get why they mentioned the hypotenuse, since it is not even in the volume formula...
Since it is a 'right' triangle, shouldn't the maximum height of the cone be 1?
But I still don't know which extreme value I should search for...
(The solution should be: 1/(9*sqrt3) * c^3 * pi )

Could someone please help me to?
You mentioned the solution which obviously has a ##c## in it. So probably the hypotenuse will play a role.
How do you derive that ##h=1##?
As I see it from your solution you are supposed to maximize ##V_{cone}## for a given length of the hypotenuse ##c##.
Clearly ##c=0## is a minimum.
How do you usually calculate maxima?

Last edited:
We only learned to make the derivative equal to zero in order to find it.

I think there is a mistake in the answer which you will find if you work through it.

If you know that the sloping side of the cone is the hypotenuse of a right angled triangle length c, can you find a relationship between c, r and h?

isn't it
c^2= r^2+h^2 ?
r^2 = c^2 - h^2

Then I could substitute it:

V = pi * (c^2-h^2) * h/3
then
V = pi * ( (c^2h/3) - (h^3/3) )
V = pi * h/3 * (c^2 - h^2)

derivative:

pi * h/3 * d/dc (c^2 - h^2)
= 2/3 * pi * h * c

But this isn't the solution... What did I do wrong?

The fact that they say "the hypotenuse of which is c" tells you that the hypotenuse is a constant. You certainly should NOT be differentiating with respect to c!

Physicsrapper said:
isn't it
c^2= r^2+h^2 ?
r^2 = c^2 - h^2

Then I could substitute it:

V = pi * (c^2-h^2) * h/3
then
V = pi * ( (c^2h/3) - (h^3/3) )
You're doing fine up to here, let me write it more clearly as $$ V = \frac{\pi c^2}3 h - \frac 13 h^3 $$So taking on board HallsOfIvy's comment, what's next?

MrAnchovy said:
You're doing fine up to here, let me write it more clearly as $$ V = \frac{\pi c^2}3 h - \frac 13 h^3 $$So taking on board HallsOfIvy's comment, what's next?
No. The equation
[tex] V = \frac{\pi c^2}3 h - \frac 13 h^3 [/tex]
is not correct. However, the equation
[tex] V = \frac{\pi}{3} \left( c^2 h - h^3 \right) [/tex]
is correct.

Ray Vickson said:
No. The equation
[tex] V = \frac{\pi c^2}3 h - \frac 13 h^3 [/tex]
is not correct. However, the equation
[tex] V = \frac{\pi}{3} \left( c^2 h - h^3 \right) [/tex]
is correct.
Ah thanks for fixing that, I wanted to split up the terms to make the differentiation more obvious but made a mess of it!

Related to Find largest possible volume (Extreme Value)

1. How do you find the largest possible volume for a given shape?

To find the largest possible volume for a given shape, you will need to use the extreme value theorem. This involves taking the derivative of the volume function and setting it equal to zero. Then, you can solve for the critical points and determine which one corresponds to the maximum volume.

2. What is the extreme value theorem?

The extreme value theorem is a mathematical principle that states that a continuous function on a closed interval will have both a maximum and minimum value at either the endpoints or at a critical point within the interval.

3. Can the largest possible volume be found for any shape?

Yes, the largest possible volume can be found for any three-dimensional shape. However, the method for finding it may vary depending on the shape and its dimensions.

4. Is there a specific formula for finding the largest possible volume?

No, there is not a specific formula for finding the largest possible volume. The method for finding it will depend on the given shape and its dimensions, and may involve using the extreme value theorem or other mathematical principles.

5. How can finding the largest possible volume be useful in real-world applications?

Finding the largest possible volume can be useful in many real-world applications, such as designing efficient storage containers, maximizing the capacity of buildings or vehicles, or optimizing the use of resources in manufacturing processes. It can also help in making decisions for cost-effectiveness and space management.