Find intersection of parametric curve and line

I also notice that, since the coefficients are all even, t= -1, 2t^3- 20t^2+ 20= 2- 20+ 20= 2 so t= -1 is a root. Dividing by t+ 1, we have 2t^2- 20= 0 so t^2= 10 and t= \pm sqrt{10}. You can use the quadratic formula to get exact answers for the other two roots but, as I said, they are "ugly".
physixer

Homework Statement

I'm trying to find when that parametric curve intersects with the line x=20

Homework Equations

x(t)=(2t^3)/(t^2-1) ; y(t)=(2t^3)/((t^2+1)^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried representing the line as y=t ; x=20

35=2t^3/(t^2-1) ; t=2t^3/((t^2+1)^2)

I also ended up with this equation:
20(t^2-1)=t(t^2+1)^2
but solving for it did not end up with the answers I expect to have. The y-values should be between 0 and 1.

Solving for t in terms of x, then plugging into the y(t) equation resulted in imaginary numbers. So how do you find the 2 intersections?
note: I need the answers by tonight. Thank you!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
physixer said:

Homework Statement

I'm trying to find when that parametric curve intersects with the line x=20

Homework Equations

x(t)=(2t^3)/(t^2-1) ; y(t)=(2t^3)/((t^2+1)^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried representing the line as y=t ; x=20
Better to use (20, y) or y= s, x= 20. There is no reason to assume the parameter for the line is the same as the parameter for the curve.

35=2t^3/(t^2-1) ;
I assume you mean [itex]20= 2t^3/(t^2- 1)[/itex]. If not, I have no idea where you got "35" from!

t=2t^3/((t^2+1)^2)
No. Again the two parameters are not the same. Better, solve the first equation for t, then use that value of t in [itex]y= 2t^3/(t+1)^2[/itex]

I also ended up with this equation:
20(t^2-1)=t(t^2+1)^2
but solving for it did not end up with the answers I expect to have. The y-values should be between 0 and 1.

Solving for t in terms of x, then plugging into the y(t) equation resulted in imaginary numbers. So how do you find the 2 intersections?
note: I need the answers by tonight. Thank you!

My bad, it is indeed 20 = ...

But, I tried solving for the first equation and it resulted in imaginary answers. Plugging THOSE into y=2t^3/(t+1)^2 just resulted in imaginary answers, as well. Looking at the parametric graph and the line together, though, I know there are two intersections with y-values between 0 and 1. I just can't figure out the exact answers.

Last edited:
That's impossible. That's a cubic equation with real coefficients- since complex roots of polynomial equations with real coefficents come in conjugate pairs, any such cubic equation has at least one real root.

[itex]20= 20t^3/(t^2-1)[/itex] is the same as [itex]20t^2- 20= 2t^3[/itex] or [itex]2t^3- 20t^2+ 20= 0[/itex]. I notice that if t= 1, [itex]2t^3- 20t^2+ 20= 2- 20+20= 2> 0[/itex] while if t= 2, [itex]2t^3- 20t^2+ 20= 16- 80+ 20= -44< 0[/itex] so there is a real root between 1 and 2.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Find intersection of parametric curve and line

1. How do you find the intersection of a parametric curve and a line?

The intersection of a parametric curve and a line can be found by setting the equations of the curve and the line equal to each other. This will result in a system of equations which can be solved to find the coordinates of the intersection point.

2. Can you explain the concept of parametric curves?

A parametric curve is a set of equations that describe the position of a point on a curve in terms of one or more parameters. These parameters can be thought of as variables that determine the coordinates of the point at different points along the curve.

3. What is the difference between a parametric curve and a Cartesian curve?

A parametric curve is defined by a set of equations that involve parameters, while a Cartesian curve is defined by a single equation in terms of x and y. This means that a parametric curve can have multiple representations, while a Cartesian curve has only one.

4. How many points of intersection can there be between a parametric curve and a line?

The number of points of intersection between a parametric curve and a line can vary depending on the specific equations involved. In some cases, there may be no intersection points, while in others there may be an infinite number of intersection points.

5. Are there any specific methods for finding the intersection of a parametric curve and a line?

Yes, there are several methods for finding the intersection of a parametric curve and a line, including substitution, elimination, and graphing. The most appropriate method will depend on the specific equations involved and the desired level of accuracy.