Find heat produced on closing the switch S

In summary, the homework statement is that heat is produced by batteries - energy is absorbed by capacitors.
Sanchayan Dutta

Homework Statement

Capture.PNG

Homework Equations

HEAT PRODUCED=WORK DONE BY BATTERIES - ENERGY ABSORBED BY CAPACITORS

The Attempt at a Solution

INITIALLY BEFORE SWITCH CLOSED :Initially a current flows only in the left most loop involving 4 microfarad capacitor.The charged on the capacitor during steady state is (20*4)=80 microcoulumbs.

FINALLY AFTER SWITCH IS CLOSED:Now a decaying current current flows in all the three loops -left,right, and bottom.However we are concerned only with steady state.So suppose the potential at the topmost junction (between the two capacitors and 2 ohm resistor) is x volts.Assuming that the node on the left (connected to 20 V cell,resistance R and resistance 4 ohm) is 0 volts.So we can write the nodal equation at x. (x-20)4+(x-0)5=0.Hence,x=80/9 volts.

Now work done by cell= (Charge Flown )* Cell Voltage = Final Charge On Left Plate Of Capacitor 4 microfarads - Initial Potential On Left Plate Of 4 microfarad= 4(20-80/9) - 4*20=-35.56 microjoule(negative).

Energy Absorbed By Capacitor = 1/2(4)(20-80/9)^2 + 1/2(5)(80/9)^2 - 1/2(4)(20)^2= -355.56 microjoule

HEAT PRODUCED=WORK DONE BY BATTERIES - ENERGY ABSORBED BY CAPACITORS=-35.56 + 355.56=320 microjoules

But this does not match with any of the options.Please help.

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the energy stored in the circuit before the switch is closed? What will be the energy in the circuit (in steady state) after the switch is closed?

Please read my solution which I posted.

Sanchayan Dutta said:
Initially a current flows only in the left most loop involving 4 microfarad capacitor.The charged on the capacitor during steady state is (20*4)=80 microcoulumbs.
Right.
Sanchayan Dutta said:
FINALLY AFTER SWITCH IS CLOSED:Now a decaying current current flows in all the three loops
Are you sure? Think in terms of the steady state.

Is the final charge on 4 microfarad capacitor same as initial because no current flows finally in steady state?Does the other capacitor remain uncharged?

Sanchayan Dutta said:
Is the final charge on 4 microfarad capacitor same as initial because no current flows finally in steady state?Does the other capacitor remain uncharged?
No current flows even in the transient state. You can verify this by applying KVL when the switch is closed.

I agree that current will flow as transient current initially but finally the capacitors will behave as open circuits and no current will flow in any of the loops.There will be p.d. only across the left capacitor.

Sanchayan Dutta said:
I agree that current will flow as transient current initially
After the switch is closed, there's no transient. And the transient before closing the switch should be ignored since the switch is open for a sufficiently long time.

Ok I get that.So should the heat dissipated be 0 after switch is closed?

Sanchayan Dutta said:
Ok I get that.So should the heat dissipated be 0 after switch is closed?
Yes. The 4uF capacitor retains all the charge and no current flows through the circuit after the switch is closed.

Alright.Thank You.You are from india?Which university? =) Thanks a lot for your help!

Sanchayan Dutta said:
Thank You
You're welcome!:smile:
Sanchayan Dutta said:
Which university?
Pune..

Nice to meet you.Bye :-)

Related to Find heat produced on closing the switch S

What is the purpose of finding the heat produced on closing the switch S?

Finding the heat produced on closing the switch S allows us to understand the amount of energy being transferred and dissipated in a circuit. This information is important for designing and optimizing electrical systems.

What factors affect the heat produced on closing the switch S?

The heat produced on closing the switch S is affected by the resistance of the circuit, the current flowing through the circuit, and the time the switch remains closed. These factors determine the amount of energy being transferred and dissipated as heat.

How can I calculate the heat produced on closing the switch S?

The heat produced on closing the switch S can be calculated using the equation Q = I²Rt, where Q is the heat produced (in joules), I is the current (in amperes), R is the resistance (in ohms), and t is the time (in seconds).

Why is it important to consider the heat produced on closing the switch S in electrical systems?

The heat produced on closing the switch S can cause components to overheat and potentially malfunction, leading to safety hazards and equipment damage. By understanding and managing the heat produced, we can ensure the proper functioning and longevity of electrical systems.

Are there any methods to reduce the heat produced on closing the switch S?

Yes, there are several methods to reduce the heat produced on closing the switch S. These include using higher resistance materials, reducing the current flow, and decreasing the time the switch remains closed. Additionally, implementing efficient cooling systems can also help dissipate excess heat.