Find for how much time, the car with stop and how many meter

In summary, the problem involves a car with a mass of 1000kg moving at a velocity of 50 km/hour. The deceleration system applies a force of 210 N on each of the four wheels, with a wheel radius of 0.3m. The goal is to find the time it takes for the car to stop and the distance it covers during that time. The attempt at a solution uses the equations a=F/m and a=v/t, resulting in a time of 66.14 s. However, the book solution is 4.96 s, which can be explained by the use of all four wheels in the deceleration process and a possible torque of 210 Nm on each wheel.
MaiteB

Homework Statement

A car with mass 1000kg moves with velocity 50 km/hour. The system of deceleration in a car is based on the principle of "force match" that is applied on each of four wheels with a force of 210 N and the ray of the wheel is 0.3m. Find for how much time, the car with stop and how many meters it has done. I thought this: a=F/m=0.21, a=v/t=> t=66,14 S but in my book solution it is 4.96 S.

Homework Equations

a=F/m, a=v/t

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought this: a=F/m=0.21, a=v/t=> t=66,14 S but in my book solution it is 4.96 S

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Maite,

That is a very interesting deceleration principle, but I have never heard of it and can't even find a hint of it anywhere.

But in your working, I see you only use one wheel to brake. Using four wheels would already reduce the braking time to 16.53 s.

And then the ratio of the book answer to your result is exactly 0.3.

Could it be that the braking system exerts a torque of 210 Nm on each of the wheels, which -- with a wheel radius of 0.3 m -- translates into a braking force of 700 N for each of them, so 2800 N in total ?

Related to Find for how much time, the car with stop and how many meter

1. How do you determine the time and distance a car will stop?

The time and distance a car will stop depends on several factors, such as the speed of the car, the road conditions, and the type of brakes. Generally, it takes about 0.7 seconds for a driver to react and apply the brakes, and the stopping distance can be calculated using the formula v²/2μg, where v is the initial velocity, μ is the coefficient of friction, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

2. What is the average stopping time and distance for a car?

The average stopping time and distance for a car is around 4 seconds and 40 meters, assuming the car is traveling at a speed of 60 km/h on a dry road with good tires and brakes. However, this can vary depending on the aforementioned factors.

3. How can you measure the stopping distance of a car?

The stopping distance of a car can be measured by marking a starting point and an endpoint on a road, and then driving the car at a certain speed and slamming on the brakes. The distance between the two marks is the stopping distance. This should be done by a trained professional in a controlled environment.

4. What impact does the weight of a car have on its stopping distance?

The weight of a car can significantly impact its stopping distance. A heavier car will have a larger momentum, making it harder to stop. This means that it will require a longer stopping distance compared to a lighter car traveling at the same speed.

5. How does the condition of the brakes affect the stopping time and distance of a car?

The condition of the brakes plays a crucial role in the stopping time and distance of a car. Worn out or faulty brakes can significantly increase the stopping distance and time, making it more dangerous to drive. It is essential to regularly maintain and replace brakes to ensure safe driving.