Find Expected Value for p - Can You Suggest a Quicker Way?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the expected value for ##p## in a 1D particle moving in a potential ##V(x)##. The person suggests a way to compute this value using an integral, but asks if there is a quicker method. Another person suggests expressing the state at t=0 in a simpler form, but the first person is unsure how to use this to simplify the integral. The second person explains that ##p^2## can be easily calculated, as it is a special operator in this problem.
bznm
I have done a lot of counts but I'm sure that there will be a quicker way.. Can you suggest me?

We have a particle in 1D that can moves only on ##[0,a]## because of the potential ##V(x)=\begin{cases}0, x\in(0,a)\\ \infty, otherwise\end{cases}##

At t=0, ##\displaystyle\psi(x,0)=\frac{\phi_1(x)+e^{i\gamma}\phi_2(x)}{\sqrt2}##

Find the expected value for ##p##.

I have followed the way ##\bar{p}=-i \hbar\int \psi(x)* \cdot \frac{\partial}{\partial x} \psi(x) \ dx##...

Can I follow a quicker way?

Physics news on Phys.org
Is that integral too lengthy to compute?

It is, but what it asks me to compute after that is even longer.. ##\bar {p}^2##!

Can't I express the state at t=0 as: ##| \psi(x,0)>=\frac{1}{\sqrt2} (|1>+e^{i \gamma} |2>##?

How is it lengthy, it's just integral of product sinusoids, you can make use of their (anti)symmetry property to eliminate some terms without actually calculating it.

mmh.. for example?

##p^2## is much easier than ##p##. I just computed its expectation value in my head.

This is because ##p^2## is a special operator for this problem. It's specialness is related to the definition of ##\phi_n##.

Related to Find Expected Value for p - Can You Suggest a Quicker Way?

1. What is expected value in statistics?

Expected value, also known as mean or average, is a measure of central tendency in statistics that represents the long-term average outcome of a random experiment or process.

2. How do you calculate expected value?

To calculate expected value, you multiply each possible outcome by its probability of occurring and then sum up all the products. The formula for expected value is: E(X) = x1*p1 + x2*p2 + ... + xn*pn, where x is the possible outcome and p is the probability of that outcome.

3. What does expected value tell us?

Expected value tells us the average outcome of a random experiment or process. It is useful in decision-making, as it helps us determine the most likely outcome and make informed choices.

4. Is there a quicker way to find expected value?

Yes, there are some shortcuts that can be used to find expected value quicker. One method is to use the properties of expected value, such as linearity and symmetry, to simplify the calculation. Another method is to use a table or tree diagram to organize the possible outcomes and their probabilities.

5. How is expected value used in real-life situations?

Expected value is used in various real-life situations, such as in finance and insurance to calculate risks and potential returns, in gambling to determine the odds of winning, and in business to make decisions based on projected outcomes. It is also used in scientific research to analyze data and make predictions.