Find equilibrium points given 2 differential equation

In summary: If y is not 0, then we must have x= s/r so that y(s- rs)= 0. Since s is positive, s- rs= (1-r)s= 0 so that y= 0. Again, (s/r, 0) is an equilibrium point also. Since you have (0, 0), (0, q/p), (s/r, 0), and (s/r, q/p) as equilibrium points, there are no others.
fireychariot

Homework Statement

[itex]\dot{x}[/itex] = -pxy + qx, [itex]\dot{y}[/itex] = rxy - sy

where p,q,r and s are positive constants (p does not equal r)

Question is : Determine all the equilibrium points for the system of differential equations given above, expressing your answers in terms of p,q,r and s

The Attempt at a Solution

I do know one point is (0,0) however am stuck in finding out the others. I factorise them to get

x(-py + q) = 0
y(xr - s) = 0

Any hints will be much appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
fireychariot said:

Homework Statement

[itex]\dot{x}[/itex] = -pxy + qx, [itex]\dot{y}[/itex] = rxy - sy

where p,q,r and s are positive constants (p does not equal r)

Question is : Determine all the equilibrium points for the system of differential equations given above, expressing your answers in terms of p,q,r and s

The Attempt at a Solution

I do know one point is (0,0) however am stuck in finding out the others. I factorise them to get

x(-py + q) = 0
y(xr - s) = 0
Okay, and then what? If you are taking a differential equations course, we should be able to assume that you can do basic algebra. You should know "if ab= 0 then either a= 0 or b= 0."

Any hints will be much appreciated

-py+q=0 so do I say y = p/q how do I find the x coordinate from that? Is that when x =0 or do I substitute it into my second equation?

fireychariot said:
-py+q=0 so do I say y = p/q how do I find the x coordinate from that? Is that when x =0 or do I substitute it into my second equation?

I mean y = q/p sorry. What's confusing is the fact that it is variables as the constants instead of numbers so any more hints would be grateful.

?? Constants are numbers.

Your two equations are
x(-py + q) = 0
y(xr - s) = 0

clearly, (0, 0) is a root. In fact if y= 0, -py+q is not 0 (unless q happens to be 0 which I am assuming is not true) so we must have x= 0 also.

If y is NOT 0 then we must have xr- s= 0 so that x= s/r. Putting that into the first equation gives s/r(-py+ q)= 0 so that y= q/p. (s/r, q/p) is also an equilibrium point.

If x is not 0 we can do the same thing but get the same point again.

Related to Find equilibrium points given 2 differential equation

What is the concept of equilibrium points in differential equations?

Equilibrium points in differential equations refer to the values of the independent variables where the rate of change of the dependent variable is equal to zero. In other words, at equilibrium points, the system is not changing over time.

What are the steps to find equilibrium points given two differential equations?

The steps to find equilibrium points given two differential equations are:

1. Write out the two differential equations in their standard form.
  2. Set the rates of change of the dependent variables to zero.
  3. Solve the resulting system of equations simultaneously to find the values of the independent variables at equilibrium.

Can there be multiple equilibrium points for a system of two differential equations?

Yes, there can be multiple equilibrium points for a system of two differential equations. This is because there can be more than one set of values for the independent variables where the rates of change of the dependent variables are equal to zero.

How do equilibrium points affect the behavior of a system described by two differential equations?

Equilibrium points can affect the behavior of a system described by two differential equations in different ways. Depending on the values of the independent variables at the equilibrium points, the system can exhibit stable or unstable behavior. Stable behavior means that the system will return to its equilibrium state after a disturbance, while unstable behavior means that the system will move away from its equilibrium state after a disturbance.

Can the equilibrium points of a system change over time?

Yes, the equilibrium points of a system can change over time. This can happen if the system is affected by external factors, such as changes in the initial conditions or parameters of the system. In such cases, the equilibrium points may shift or new equilibrium points may emerge.