Find difference in pressure in this water intake pump

In summary, the water intake at a pump storage reservoir has a cross-sectional area of 0.87 m2 and a speed of 0.35 m/s. At the generator building, 180 m below the intake point, the cross-sectional area is smaller and the water flows out at 9.8 m/s. Using Burnoulli's equation, the difference in pressure between inlet and outlet is calculated to be 1.81 MPa. However, the correct conversion from Pa to MPa should be 1.81 x 10^-5 MPa. The analysis may be incorrect due to an error in the conversion.
mb85
A water intake at a pump storage reservoir (Fig. 14-44) has a cross-sectional area of 0.87 m2. The water flows in at a speed of 0.35 m/s. At the generator building, at distance D = 180 m below the intake point, the cross-sectional area is smaller than at the intake and the water flows out at 9.8 m/s. What is the difference in pressure, in megapascals, between inlet and outlet?

Im using Burnoulli's Equation:

P1 -P2 = density(g)(Y1- Y2) + 1/2 (density)(V2^2 - V1^2)
density of water = 1000
so = (1000)(9.8)(180) + 1/2(1000)(9.8^2 - 0.35^2)
= 1811958.75Pa/1.01x10^5Pa
= 17.94 atm

But then answer is in MPa, So then i get 1.794 x10^-6 MPa

But that is not correct, is the analysis i made incorrect? I think i am missing something key in the problem. Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Without looking at your problem set up your conversion from atm to MPa is incorrect. 17.9 atm = 1.81 MPa.

Why did you convert from Pa to atm? Just convert Pa to MPa.

to be honest, I am not sure i did. silly.

but is the analysis i did correct for the problem?

Did he do the question correct?

Related to Find difference in pressure in this water intake pump

1. What is the purpose of finding the difference in pressure in a water intake pump?

The purpose of finding the difference in pressure in a water intake pump is to determine the efficiency of the pump and to identify any potential issues or malfunctions that may affect its performance.

2. How is the difference in pressure calculated for a water intake pump?

The difference in pressure is calculated by subtracting the outlet pressure from the inlet pressure. This can be measured using a pressure gauge or sensor at both the inlet and outlet of the pump.

3. What factors can affect the difference in pressure in a water intake pump?

Several factors can affect the difference in pressure in a water intake pump, including the size and type of pump, the speed at which it is operating, the condition of the pump and its components, and the quality and viscosity of the water being pumped.

4. What is considered a normal difference in pressure for a water intake pump?

The normal difference in pressure for a water intake pump can vary depending on the type and size of the pump, as well as the specific application. However, a difference of 10-15 psi (pounds per square inch) is generally considered to be within the normal range.

5. How often should the difference in pressure be checked for a water intake pump?

The difference in pressure should be checked regularly as part of routine maintenance for the pump. This can vary depending on the specific pump and its usage, but it is recommended to check the pressure at least once a month and more frequently if the pump is used heavily.