Find Cv as a function of V & T (or P & T) given G(P,T)?

In summary: H and V from the given function G(P,T). In summary, the student is attempting to find Cv without a given starting function and is unsure how to obtain H and V from the given function G(P,T).
Dai_Yue

Homework Statement

The function G is given in the question: [tex]G(P,T) = \frac{-aT^2} {P}, [/tex]
where a is a positive constant.

Homework Equations

[tex] dG = Vdp - SdT, [/tex]
and probably [tex] S(V,T) = (\frac{\partial S}{\partial T})_V dT + (\frac{\partial S}{\partial V})_T dV [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]C_v dT = TdS, [/tex]
∴​
[tex](\frac{\partial S}{\partial T})_vdT = \frac {C_v}{T}[/tex]
.. and that's about as far as I got.

I could find C_p by taking a partial derivative of G with respect to T and get [tex](\frac{\partial S}{\partial T})_pdT = \frac {C_p}{T}[/tex]
, which turned into something like [itex] \frac{-2aT}{P} [/itex] but I don't know how I would find [itex]C_v[/itex] without being given a starting function of V and T like Helmholt's energy. Because I'm looking for [itex]C_v[/itex] I'm 90% sure that the function will be a function of V & T, not P & T.

Pls help thx

Physics news on Phys.org
In order to get Cv, you are going to have to get U. U can be obtained from knowledge of H and PV. Do you know how to get H if you know G(P,T)? Do you know how to get V if you know G(P,T)?

Chet

Related to Find Cv as a function of V & T (or P & T) given G(P,T)?

1. How do you find Cv as a function of V and T with given G(P,T)?

To find Cv as a function of V and T using G(P,T), you can use the relation Cv = T (∂S/∂T)V, where S is the molar entropy. The molar entropy can be determined from the Gibbs free energy equation G = H - TS, where H is the molar enthalpy. By rearranging the equation and differentiating with respect to T, you can solve for Cv as a function of V and T.

2. What is the significance of finding Cv as a function of V and T?

Cv as a function of V and T is an important thermodynamic property that helps to characterize the behavior of a substance. It represents the amount of heat required to raise the temperature of one mole of a substance by one degree at constant volume. This information is crucial in understanding the thermal properties of a substance and its behavior under different conditions.

3. Can Cv also be expressed as a function of P and T?

Yes, Cv can also be expressed as a function of P and T. This can be done by using the ideal gas law, PV = nRT, and the relation Cp - Cv = R, where Cp is the molar heat capacity at constant pressure. By combining these equations, you can solve for Cv as a function of P and T.

4. How does finding Cv as a function of V and T differ from finding it as a function of P and T?

Finding Cv as a function of V and T and finding it as a function of P and T involve different equations and methods. When finding Cv as a function of V and T, you use the relationship between molar entropy and the Gibbs free energy, while finding it as a function of P and T requires using the ideal gas law and the relation between molar heat capacities. Additionally, the resulting equations will have different variables and constants.

5. What are some applications of knowing Cv as a function of V and T?

Knowing Cv as a function of V and T has many practical applications, particularly in the fields of thermodynamics and materials science. It can be used to calculate the thermal properties of substances, such as specific heat capacity and thermal expansion, which are important for designing and optimizing industrial processes. It also plays a crucial role in the study of phase transitions and critical phenomena, as well as in the development of new materials and technologies.