Find centroid of catenary (y=cosh(x))

In summary, the uniform chain hangs in the shape of the catenary y=cosh(x) between x=−1 and x=1. Find the arc length of the chain and compare it to the minimum and maximum values of the catenary.
oddjobmj

Homework Statement

A uniform chain hangs in the shape of the catenary y=cosh(x) between x=−1 and x=1

Find [itex]\bar{y}[/itex]

Homework Equations

∫[itex]\bar{y}[/itex][itex]\rho[/itex]ds=∫y[itex]\rho[/itex]ds

The Attempt at a Solution

I can define ds (some small segment of the arc) by [itex]\sqrt{1+sinh(x)^2}[/itex]dx.

Also, y is given as y=cosh(x)

If I take the integral above from -1 to 1 as:

∫cosh(x)*[itex]\sqrt{1+sinh(x)^2}[/itex]dx

I get ~2.8

The problem I have with this answer is that the maximum y of this catenary is y=cosh(1) which is below y=2. The minimum value of the catenary is y=cosh(0)=1 so the y centroid should be somewhere between those two points.

What am I doing wrong? Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What does your ##\int ds## yield ?

BvU said:
What does your ##\int ds## yield ?

Arc length. This turns out to be about 2.4 between x=-1 and x=1.

edit: from my book: (The example they use is y=x^2 between 0 and 1.)

xvZs6V9.jpg

Am I supposed to go about calculating the integral and then setting it equal to the form with [itex]\bar{y}[/itex] in it to solve for [itex]\bar{y}[/itex]?

Last edited:
oddjobmj said:

edit: from my book: (The example they use is y=x^2 between 0 and 1.)

xvZs6V9.jpg

Am I supposed to go about calculating the integral and then setting it equal to the form with [itex]\bar{y}[/itex] in it to solve for [itex]\bar{y}[/itex]?

Isn't that exactly what the last equation says?

You have to solve for y_COG from the equation as written in your notes.

Likes 1 person
If you factor the constant ##\bar y## out of the second equation of 3.6 and solve for ##\bar y## you will have the formula you need. You have just calculated part of it.

Correct. And the 2.8 you had before divided by the 2.4 arc length gives you ##\bar y## as per your own relevant equation in post #1. Done !

Related to Find centroid of catenary (y=cosh(x))

What is a catenary?

A catenary is a mathematical curve that describes the shape of a hanging chain or cable. It is defined by the equation y = cosh(x), where x and y are the coordinates of points on the curve.

How is the centroid of a catenary calculated?

The centroid of a catenary can be calculated by using the formula x = (2sinh(a))/(3a), where a is the coefficient of the equation y = cosh(ax). This formula represents the x-coordinate of the centroid, and the y-coordinate can be found using the equation y = cosh((2a)/(3a)).

What is the significance of finding the centroid of a catenary?

The centroid of a catenary is an important concept in engineering and physics. It helps determine the center of mass and the stability of hanging structures, such as bridges and suspension cables. It is also used in calculating the tension and weight distribution of hanging objects.

Are there any real-life applications of finding the centroid of a catenary?

Yes, there are several real-life applications of finding the centroid of a catenary. Some examples include designing suspension bridges, analyzing the stability of power lines, and determining the shape of a hanging chain or cable in engineering projects.

Can the centroid of a catenary be found using other methods?

Yes, the centroid of a catenary can also be found using calculus. By calculating the area under the curve and dividing it by the total length of the curve, the coordinates of the centroid can be determined. However, this method may be more complex and time-consuming compared to using the formula mentioned in the second question.