Find Capacitor network with a known potental difference

In summary, the potential difference across ab is 12.0 V for the capacitor network shown in the figure. To find the total energy stored in the network, the formula for energy stored in a capacitor (U = 1/2*CV^2) can be used. By breaking down the network into smaller capacitors and using the formula for equivalent capacitance in series (1/C = 1/C1 + 1/C2 + 1/C3), the total capacitance is found to be 2.1887 micro-F. Using the formula V = Q/C, the charge is calculated to be 26.2647 and the voltage across the network is found to be 5.4718 V. Finally,
Northbysouth

Homework Statement

For the capacitor network shown in the Figure , the potential difference across ab is 12.0 V

A) Find the total energy stored in this network.

B) Find the energy stored in the 4.80μF capacitor.

Homework Equations

C = Q/V

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm honestly not sure where to start. I've tried playing around with the units but I haven't managed to find anything that gives me joules.

Attachments

• Phys 2306 hwk 5 prob 3.png
    Phys 2306 hwk 5 prob 3.png
    2.8 KB · Views: 3,478
Physics news on Phys.org

Playing with the units is not the best way to solve the problems.

If you want to calculate energy, you may start by looking up the formula for the energy stored in a capacitor.

I managed to get it I found that the equation for the energy stored in a capacitor is:

U = 1/2*CV^2

I found C by breaking it up into the separate capacities. So, for the left most capacities I found their equilibrium capacitor, which I did by adding the reciprocal of the values:

1/8.60 + 1/4.80 = 0.324612

This becomes 3.080597 when you take it's receiprocal.

Then I found the capacitor for the top-most capacitors.

1/6.20 + 1/11.8 = 0.24603

Taking the reciprocal gives me 4.06444

Then I added 4.06444 to 3.50 because these capacitors are parallel, whereas previously the capacitors had been in series. This gave me 7.56044

Then I did:

1/7.56044 + 1/3.080597 = 0.45687

For which I remember to take the receiprocal, thereby giving me 2.1887593 micro-F

Plugging this into the formula gives me:

U= 1/2*2.1887593 micro-F*12^2
U = 157.59 micro-J

Thanks for your help

B) Find the energy stored in the 4.80 microFarad capacitor

I tried the following to answer this part:
U = 1/2*4.80 micro-F*12^2
U = 345.6 micro-J

Unfortunately, this didn't work. What am I missing?

The potential difference across that capacitor is not 12 V.
You can look at the circuit with the two rightmost capacitor plus one that replaces all the left most ones. So you have a series circuit with three capacitors which should be something familiar.
Now you know something about the charge for series circuits. It is the same for all (and also the same as for the equivalent capacitor). This should be enough to calculate the charge and then the voltage for the desired capacitor.

I'm not quite sure I follow. If there are three capacitors then wouldn't it be a parallel circuit?

I am talking about the capacitors 8.6 μF (leftmost), 4.6 μF and the equivalent of that loop on the right. You said that the 8.6 μF and 4.6 μF are in series, right? If you replace the loop with the equivalent (I think you got 7.56 μF) then you have the 8.6 μF, 4.6 μF and this 7.56 μF in series. Do you see it?

So here's what I tried:

12 V = Q(1/8.60 + 1/4.80 + 1/7.56044)
Q = 5.482558

V = 5.482558/4.80 micro-F
V = 1.142

I've tried this and it didn't work; I think I've messed up the units as I'm not sure what the units of Q would be.

I've just looked at it again and realized that this is the voltage, not U.

But pluggin in 1.142 V into U = 1/2*4.80 micro-F*1.142^2
= 3.1299 micro-J

But it's still not right :/

The value of the charge is not right.
Check your calculations.
Q=C*V

Finally got it:

So in calculating the capacitance I got

1/C = 1/8.60 + 1/4.80 + 1/7.56044

Therefore C = 2.1887 micro-F

Then, using V = Q/C I get

12 V = Q/2.1887 micro-F
Q = 26.2647

Then using V = Q/C I get

V = 26.2647/4.80 micro-F = 5.4718 V

U = 1/2*4.80 micro-F*5.4718^2
U = 71.9 micro-J

Thank you for all your help.

Related to Find Capacitor network with a known potental difference

1. How do you find the total capacitance of a network with a known potential difference?

To find the total capacitance of a network with a known potential difference, you can use the formula C = Q/V, where C is the capacitance, Q is the charge, and V is the potential difference. You will need to find the individual capacitance values of each capacitor in the network and then add them together to get the total capacitance.

2. What is the relationship between potential difference and capacitance in a network?

The potential difference and capacitance in a network are inversely proportional. This means that as the potential difference increases, the capacitance decreases and vice versa. This relationship is described by the formula C = Q/V, where C is the capacitance, Q is the charge, and V is the potential difference.

3. How do you determine the charge on each capacitor in a network with a known potential difference?

To determine the charge on each capacitor in a network with a known potential difference, you can use the formula Q = CV, where Q is the charge, C is the capacitance, and V is the potential difference. You will need to find the individual capacitance values of each capacitor in the network and then use this formula to calculate the charge on each one.

4. Can the potential difference in a capacitor network be negative?

Yes, the potential difference in a capacitor network can be negative. This can occur when the capacitors are connected in series and the potential difference across one of the capacitors is opposite in direction to the potential difference across the other capacitor(s). In this case, the total potential difference can be negative.

5. What factors can affect the capacitance in a network with a known potential difference?

The factors that can affect the capacitance in a network with a known potential difference include the distance between the plates of the capacitor, the area of the plates, and the type of material used as the dielectric between the plates. Additionally, the number and arrangement of capacitors in the network can also affect the overall capacitance.