Find an Expression for the Helmholtz free energy

In summary, the conversation is about finding an expression for the Helmholtz free energy as a function of temperature for a statement with two states at energy 0 and ε. The equation F = -kBT log Z and Z = Ʃ e-βEr are mentioned, and the attempt at a solution involves substituting β into the equation. The importance of being consistent with using β and kT is also discussed.
conorod

Homework Statement

I am attempting the problem below, I might have the correct answer but would appreciate if someone could confirm this (or tell me where I'm going wrong).
Consider a statement having 2 states, one at energy 0 and one at energy ε. Find an expression for the Helmholtz free energy as a function of the temperature, T.

Homework Equations

F = -kBT log Z

Z = Ʃ e-βEr

The Attempt at a Solution

Z = e-β.0 + e-β.ε
Z = 1 + e-β.ε

F = -kBT ln(1 + e-β.ε)

Physics news on Phys.org
Isn't β =1/(kBT)? Shouldn't you substitute that into your equation?

I'm not sure - is that necessary? Or is it OK to just use β?

Well you want to at least be consistent. In your final equation, you use both beta and kT.

This looks correct! The Helmholtz free energy is defined as F = U - TS, where U is the internal energy, T is the temperature, and S is the entropy. In this case, U is equal to ε since there are two states with energies 0 and ε. And since the system is in equilibrium, S = kB ln(Z), where Z is the partition function. So, substituting these values into the equation, we get F = -ε - kBT ln(1 + e-β.ε). Great job!

Related to Find an Expression for the Helmholtz free energy

1. What is the Helmholtz free energy?

The Helmholtz free energy is a thermodynamic potential that represents the amount of work that can be extracted from a thermodynamic system at a constant temperature and volume. It is denoted by the symbol F and is defined as F = U - TS, where U is the internal energy, T is the temperature, and S is the entropy.

2. Why is the Helmholtz free energy important?

The Helmholtz free energy is important because it helps us understand the stability and equilibrium of a thermodynamic system. It is also used to calculate the maximum amount of work that can be obtained from a system in a reversible process.

3. How is the Helmholtz free energy related to other thermodynamic potentials?

The Helmholtz free energy is related to other thermodynamic potentials through mathematical equations. For example, it is related to the Gibbs free energy through the equation G = F + PV, where G is the Gibbs free energy and P is the pressure. It is also related to the enthalpy through the equation H = U + PV.

4. How can the Helmholtz free energy be used to calculate the equilibrium state of a system?

The Helmholtz free energy can be used to calculate the equilibrium state of a system by determining the minimum value of F at a given temperature and volume. When the system reaches this minimum value, it is in a state of thermodynamic equilibrium.

5. What is the significance of the negative sign in the expression for the Helmholtz free energy?

The negative sign in the expression for the Helmholtz free energy indicates that the free energy decreases as the system approaches equilibrium. This means that the system will naturally tend towards a state of minimum free energy, which is the state of thermodynamic equilibrium.