Find a statement S, based on P, Q, and R, that is represented by the truth table

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with creating a statement that results in a specific truth table, with the individual mentioning attempts at solving it and asking for suggestions.
snipekiller
Firstly, I apologize if this is the wrong section to post, not sure where in homework help for logic is suppose to be post.

Otherwise, I have no idea how to approach this problem, I just make an equation and hope and pray it matches the results of S, or try and keep adding statements to bring the desired results. I manage to match S almost all except for 1 of the rows, but I cannot just change that one.
If anyone can help, or give me suggestions on how to approach this problem. That would be great!

Homework Statement

Create some statement EX) (P v Q) where the final results are S.
Code:
P Q R S
---------------
T T T F
T T F F
T F T T
F T T F
T F F T
F T F F
F F T F
F F F T

The Attempt at a Solution

Some of the equations I have tried, but failed:
((R & Q) V P) => Q) v R
~(~P V Q ) <--> R ) -> P
(~(P => Q ) & R => Q)
Almost all three of these equations have resulted in a match except for one of the columns.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
snipekiller said:
Firstly, I apologize if this is the wrong section to post, not sure where in homework help for logic is suppose to be post.

Otherwise, I have no idea how to approach this problem, I just make an equation and hope and pray it matches the results of S, or try and keep adding statements to bring the desired results. I manage to match S almost all except for 1 of the rows, but I cannot just change that one.
If anyone can help, or give me suggestions on how to approach this problem. That would be great!

Homework Statement

Create some statement EX) (P v Q) where the final results are S.
Code:
P Q R S
---------------
T T T F
T T F F
T F T T
F T T F
T F F T
F T F F
F F T F
F F F T

The Attempt at a Solution

Some of the equations I have tried, but failed:
((R & Q) V P) => Q) v R
~(~P V Q ) <--> R ) -> P
(~(P => Q ) & R => Q)
Almost all three of these equations have resulted in a match except for one of the columns.

Have you learned how to use Karnaugh Maps in your logic class? I don't know if you use them, but we use them in logic circuit design to come up with the logic equation from the Truth Table:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karnaugh_map

Related to Find a statement S, based on P, Q, and R, that is represented by the truth table

1. What is a truth table and how is it used in logic?

A truth table is a visual representation of the logical relationship between different propositions or statements. It is used to determine the truth value of a compound statement based on the truth values of its component statements.

2. Can you explain the concept of a statement S being represented by P, Q, and R?

In logic, a statement S can be expressed as a combination of simpler statements, represented by variables P, Q, and R. These variables can take on a truth value of either true or false, and their combination determines the truth value of the statement S.

3. How do we use P, Q, and R to construct a truth table for a compound statement?

To construct a truth table, we list all possible combinations of truth values for P, Q, and R. Then, we determine the truth value of the compound statement for each combination by following the logical rules of conjunction, disjunction, and negation.

4. Can you give an example of a compound statement represented by P, Q, and R?

One example is the statement "If it is raining (P) and I have an umbrella (Q), then I will stay dry (R)." This can be represented by the compound statement P ∧ Q → R, where ∧ represents the logical operator for "and" and → represents the logical operator for "if-then."

5. Why is it important to use a truth table in logic?

A truth table allows us to systematically analyze the logical relationship between different statements and determine their truth values. It is an essential tool in evaluating the validity of arguments and making logical deductions.