Field Theory Partition Function

In summary, the partition function in QFT is written as Z=\langle 0 | e^{-i\hat H T} |0\rangle and represents the sum over bubble diagrams, which have no external lines. The vacuum state |0\rangle is defined differently in perturbation theory, and the inclusion of interaction terms makes the calculation non-trivial. The Hamiltonian is not actually in the form of \hat H=\sum_{k}\hat a^{\dagger}_{k}\hat a_{k}, and the partition function only makes sense to calculate when there is a source term added.
unchained1978
The 'partition function' in QFT is written as [itex]Z=\langle 0 | e^{-i\hat H T} |0\rangle[/itex], but I'm having a difficult time really understanding this. I'm assuming that [itex]|0\rangle[/itex] represents the vacuum state with no particles present. If that's the case, and the Hamiltonian acting on such a state would just produce the ground state energy, which can be defined to be zero. How does this give you anything interesting then? If [itex] e^{-i\hat H T} |0\rangle=e^{-i (0)T}|0\rangle[/itex], then I fail to see how this quantity is of any use. (I know that by adding a source to the Hamiltonian, you can calculate the interaction energy of two particles, but for a source free H I'm not sure what it does). Also, if you have a Hamiltonian of the form [itex]:\hat H:=\sum_{k}\hat a^{\dagger}_{k}\hat a_{k}[/itex], where [itex]\hat a_{k}|0\rangle=0[/itex], then I really don't get what's going on here when you write out Z. Does it only make sense to calculate this when you have a source term added?
Thanks in advance for any help

Physics news on Phys.org
unchained1978 said:
The 'partition function' in QFT is written as [itex]Z=\langle 0 | e^{-i\hat H T} |0\rangle[/itex], but I'm having a difficult time really understanding this. I'm assuming that [itex]|0\rangle[/itex] represents the vacuum state with no particles present.

The vacuum state is a very complicated issue in QFT. Since we usually can't solve the interacting theory exactly, we resort to perturbation theory, where

$$ H = H_0 + H_I,$$

with ##H_0## the free Hamiltonian and ##H_I## the interacting part. There are then really two vacuum states that we can define. For example, in Peskin & Schroder, ##|0\rangle## is the vacuum for the free Hamiltonian, while they use ##|\Omega\rangle## to stand for the vacuum of the full theory.

If that's the case, and the Hamiltonian acting on such a state would just produce the ground state energy, which can be defined to be zero. How does this give you anything interesting then? If [itex] e^{-i\hat H T} |0\rangle=e^{-i (0)T}|0\rangle[/itex], then I fail to see how this quantity is of any use. (I know that by adding a source to the Hamiltonian, you can calculate the interaction energy of two particles, but for a source free H I'm not sure what it does). Also, if you have a Hamiltonian of the form [itex]:\hat H:=\sum_{k}\hat a^{\dagger}_{k}\hat a_{k}[/itex], where [itex]\hat a_{k}|0\rangle=0[/itex], then I really don't get what's going on here when you write out Z. Does it only make sense to calculate this when you have a source term added?
Thanks in advance for any help

The Hamiltonian really isn't [itex]:\hat H:=\sum_{k}\hat a^{\dagger}_{k}\hat a_{k}[/itex], rather the normal-ordered free Hamiltonian has this form. Along with the normal-ordering, we're typically dropping the zero-point energy of the oscillators, so we can define the zero of energy by choosing ##H_0 |0\rangle =0##. However, once we do this, the interaction terms generally are not normal ordered, so ##H_I|0\rangle \neq 0##. The interactions can create virtual particles from the vacuum (in such a way that all charges are conserved). Therefore, the partition function is generally non-trivial and corresponds to a sum over so-called bubble diagrams, which have no external lines.

Thank you, I didn't think too much about what the Hamiltonian really is. Including the interaction terms gives you a non-trivial calculation, and I think I overlooked the addition of that to the total Hamiltonian.

Related to Field Theory Partition Function

What is a "Field Theory Partition Function"?

The Field Theory Partition Function is a mathematical tool used in statistical mechanics to describe the thermodynamic properties of a system of particles at a given temperature. It represents the sum of all possible states of the system and is essential in calculating the average values of physical quantities such as energy, entropy, and magnetization.

How is the Field Theory Partition Function calculated?

The Field Theory Partition Function is calculated by taking the product of Boltzmann factors for all possible states of the system. These factors account for the energy of each state and are raised to the power of the number of particles in that state. The resulting sum is then multiplied by a normalization constant to account for the total number of particles in the system.

What is the significance of the Field Theory Partition Function?

The Field Theory Partition Function is significant because it allows us to make predictions about the thermodynamic properties of a system without having to know the exact details of each individual particle. It also allows us to study the behavior of large systems, which would be impossible to do by considering each particle individually.

What are the limitations of the Field Theory Partition Function?

The Field Theory Partition Function is based on certain assumptions, such as the particles in the system being non-interacting and obeying the laws of classical or quantum mechanics. These assumptions may not hold in all cases, leading to inaccuracies in the predicted thermodynamic properties. Additionally, the calculation of the Partition Function becomes increasingly complex for systems with large numbers of particles.

How is the Field Theory Partition Function used in practical applications?

The Field Theory Partition Function has a wide range of applications in various fields of physics and chemistry. It is used to study the behavior of gases, liquids, and solids, as well as phase transitions and critical phenomena. It is also used in the development of new materials and in understanding the properties of complex systems such as polymers and proteins.