Field Theory - bending of light due to

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of light bending and its possible causes. While the force of gravity on Earth is not strong enough to significantly affect the path of light, the change in air density in the atmosphere can cause refraction and make it appear as if light is bending. The idea of a strong magnetic field potentially causing the bending of light is also mentioned, with the example of a black hole being brought up as a counterargument. However, the conversation ends with the question of whether a strong magnetic field can be associated with a black hole.
tdunc
Mar 29 (from my journal site)

"What we know. The force of gravity is much greater here on the face of the Earth opposed to the far upper atmosphere of our planet. Yet it is around a planet that we typically observe and associate with the bending of light. Here on the face of the Earth it Appears for the most part that light travels great distances in a straight line Contradictory to the greater force of gravity. It could be that light does in fact bend on the face of the Earth substantially (substantially more correct?) but IS IT ENOUGH to credit the bending of light to gravity? I Really question this. I could more quite easily explain the bending of light is due to not gravity but the magnetic field, which would give a reason why light travels straight here on the face of the Earth opposed to the upper atmosphere where the magnetic field has a greater influence.

Of course in any such debate on the matter the word black hole would no doubt come up trying to convince me that I am wrong. Then I guess I would ask why can't a super strong magnetic field be associate with a black hole?"

Physics news on Phys.org
1.Light is electromagnetic field...Charged particles and gravitational sources may affect the propagation of light...Light,being a wave,would interfere,but it's not the case in your image...
2.An electrically charged rotating black hole generates a magnetic field.

Daniel.

Gravity (from earth) is so miniscule in its effect on light that it can be ignored. The bending of light through the atmosphere is a refraction effect due to the change (decrease) in air density with altitude.

Related to Field Theory - bending of light due to

What is Field Theory and how does it relate to the bending of light?

Field Theory is a concept in physics that describes how forces and interactions between particles can be explained by fields. In the case of the bending of light, this theory helps us understand how the gravitational field of massive objects, such as stars or galaxies, can cause light to change its path.

What is the phenomenon known as gravitational lensing, and how does Field Theory explain it?

Gravitational lensing is the bending of light by massive objects in space, which can act as a lens and magnify or distort the light from distant objects. Field Theory explains this phenomenon by showing how the gravitational field of these objects affects the path of light, causing it to bend and creating the illusion of a magnified or distorted image.

How is the bending of light due to Field Theory different from the bending of light in other situations?

The bending of light due to Field Theory is different from other situations because it is caused by the curvature of space-time, which is a fundamental concept in Field Theory. In other situations, such as refraction or reflection, the bending of light is caused by the interaction between light and matter, not the curvature of space-time.

Can Field Theory be used to predict the exact path of light when it encounters a gravitational field?

Yes, Field Theory can be used to predict the exact path of light when it encounters a gravitational field. This is done using mathematical equations, such as the Einstein field equations, which describe the relationship between the curvature of space-time and the distribution of matter and energy.

What are some real-life applications of Field Theory and the bending of light?

Some real-life applications of Field Theory and the bending of light include astrophysics, where it is used to study the behavior of light in the presence of massive objects, and gravitational wave detection, which relies on the precise prediction of the path of light in space-time. Additionally, the principles of Field Theory have also been used in technologies such as GPS and satellite communication.