Field strength is the potential gradient graph question

In summary: If you know the exact shape of the potential everywhere, you can calculate the gradient, of course.In general, this does not have to be true. Inside earth, for example, force and potential are more complicated functions.Thanks mfb for responding.So in my particular case it works for the potential GM/r, but the general case is that g = \frac{\Delta V}{\Delta r} is always true.
mrcotton

Homework Statement

By use of the graph in part (a), calculate the gravitational field strength at a distance 2R from the centre of the Earth.

Homework Equations

g = delta V / Delta r filed strength is the potential gradient

graphlr_zps2db211ea.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

I have drawn the gradient on at 2r=R and calculated it. I have also done another at 3R to check what is confusing me.

commentlr_zps238cde61.jpg

I've just written out the equations; if V=GM/r and you divide that by r you get GM/r^2, which = g. So this must be valid for any point. In that case, why bother with the inaccuracy of drawing a tangent? Why not just read off the value of V at that value of r??

Any helpful pointers appreciated
D

Physics news on Phys.org
If you know the exact shape of the potential everywhere, you can calculate the gradient, of course.
In general, this does not have to be true. Inside earth, for example, force and potential are more complicated functions.

Thanks mfb for responding.
So will the potential at any point divided by the distance to that point always equal the gravitational field strength or is this because my potential function has this shape?

So if

g = \frac{\Delta V}{\Delta r}

Can why can we say that V at that point divided by the distance is equal to g?

hmm, looks like I need to add something to the LATEX statement so it is parsed correctly?

mrcotton said:
Thanks mfb for responding.
So will the potential at any point divided by the distance to that point always equal the gravitational field strength or is this because my potential function has this shape?
It works if you have a single, spherical symmetric mass at the origin (in 3 dimensions), and consider the potential and force outside this mass, where the potential is defined to be zero at infinite distance.
It fails as soon as one of those conditions is not true.

You need [tex]code[/tex] or [itex]code[/itex] to parse TeX (you can also use the shorter versions $$code$$ and ##code##).

Thanks again mfb
so in my particular case it works for the potential GM/r
but the general case is [tex] g = \frac{\Delta V}{\Delta r} [/tex] is always true.
If this LATEX works then I have learn't two new things today

Now to go and learn the functions for the potentials for the standard model Lagrangian
D

Related to Field strength is the potential gradient graph question

1. What is a field strength potential gradient graph?

A field strength potential gradient graph is a visual representation of the relationship between the potential gradient (change in electric potential per unit distance) and the distance from an electric charge or source. It shows how the strength of the electric field changes as you move away from the source.

2. How is field strength measured?

Field strength is measured in units of volts per meter (V/m) or newtons per coulomb (N/C). It can be measured using a probe or sensor that detects the electric field at different distances from the source.

3. What does a steep slope on a field strength potential gradient graph indicate?

A steep slope on a field strength potential gradient graph indicates a strong electric field. This means that there is a large change in electric potential over a short distance, indicating a high concentration of electric charge or source.

4. What does a flat line on a field strength potential gradient graph indicate?

A flat line on a field strength potential gradient graph indicates a uniform or constant electric field. This means that the electric potential is not changing as distance increases, indicating a consistent distribution of electric charge or source.

5. How does the distance from an electric charge affect field strength?

The distance from an electric charge affects field strength because the electric field weakens as you move further away from the source. This is represented by a decreasing slope on a field strength potential gradient graph. In other words, the closer you are to the source, the stronger the electric field will be.