Field Intensity Formula: Calculating Bitter Magnet Strength and Temperature

• Thread starter microfracture
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Magnet
In summary: No, that doesn't look correct to me (not even dimensionally correct).If you are pulsing it, then you also need to consider the skin effect. If the pulse is fast enough and plates thick enough, they will repel all the field lines and none will go through the plates.
microfracture
alright so i think I've got a pretty good handle on this, I am looking for a proof read though. any acurate input is greatly appreciated :D

Field intensity in teslas = (amps x turns)/coil area; ignoring coil length effects

meaning

B=μ0(Ni)/m^2

right? but my question is: don't i have to add the thickness of the plate too? or is that just for resistance...

ps, anyone know how to calculate how hot the magnet will get per amper? I am a little confused.
thankyou

Physics news on Phys.org
Not sure which plate do you mean. If you mean thickness of the wires, yes, that will only affect resistance. The amount of heat generated is I²R, where R is the resistance of the coil. How hot that will actually get the magnet depends on how quickly you can get the heat out.

If you simply want to estimate how the temperature will change with current, heat is radiated at a rate proportional to T4. So if radiation is your primary way of cooling the magnet, you can expect temperature to increase as the square root of the current. The actual coefficient will depend on configuration of the magnet, air flow, etc. It's going to be very difficult to predict in advance.

A bitter magnet is composed of stacked plates, not wire. I was asking if I have to take the plates thickness into consideration when calculating B field.

Ah, I see. No, it doesn't matter. What matters is how much current flows through a plane you cut along the solenoid, and that's just the current times number of turns it makes. Be careful that the number of turns the current makes is not equal to number of plates. You have to take the way insulator is stacked into account.

Im going to use teflon sheets between the plates. At low voltages it should be fine. I should be more concerned with heat honestly, considering the high ampres ill be pumping into this thing

You have cooling pipes running through the plates? I'm assuming that's typically how it's done, though, I've never worked with these. If so, it might be possible to estimate the heat flow out of the thing, and therefore, get some sort of an idea of how hot it will get.

Edit: In fact, if you don't mind sharing details on geometry, it might make things easier. Copper plates, right?

If you are pulsing it, then you also need to consider the skin effect. If the pulse is fast enough and plates thick enough, they will repel all the field lines and none will go through the plates.

microfracture said:
alright so i think I've got a pretty good handle on this, I am looking for a proof read though. any acurate input is greatly appreciated :D

Field intensity in teslas = (amps x turns)/coil area; ignoring coil length effects

meaning

B=μ0(Ni)/m^2

right?

No, that doesn't look correct to me (not even dimensionally correct).

I really don't know anything about "bitter" electromagnets, but just googling it and looking at the construction I say it would be something more like :

B_teslas = μ0 n I, where "n" is the number of helical turns per meter.

So [itex] n = \frac{\theta}{360 t} [/itex], where t is the thickness of each disc+insulator (in meters) and [itex]\theta[/itex] is the angle of advance of the helix per disc (in degrees).

That was what I was looking for. Thank you :D

plate thickness: 0.0135 in
insolater thickness: 0.015 in
angle of asent: now I am not sure how to calculate angle, so i took a swing at it. thickness of plate plus insolater is 0.029in

0.029×0.0254 (inches to meter) = 0.0007366m = t
right?
we will call that the hypotnuse of a right triangle, then have 3in as the radi which is 0.0762m. get 0.08m as the top leg

and 0.55 degrees as the angle of advance.
so n=0.55/360(0.0007366) = 2.0741 rounded.
now we have n.
u0 is 1.2566371×10−6

B= 1.2566371×10−6(2.0741)I
so if i want to solve for I
I= [1.2566371(2.0741)]/B
right?

Last edited:

Related to Field Intensity Formula: Calculating Bitter Magnet Strength and Temperature

1. What is a bitter magnet?

A bitter magnet is a type of permanent magnet made of alloys of iron, nickel, and cobalt. It is known for its strong magnetic force and is commonly used in industrial and scientific applications.

2. How does a bitter magnet work?

A bitter magnet works by creating a magnetic field around it, which is caused by the alignment of its atoms in a specific direction. This magnetic field can attract or repel other magnetic objects, depending on their polarity.

3. What are the uses of a bitter magnet?

Bitter magnets are used in a variety of applications, such as in magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) machines, particle accelerators, and nuclear fusion research. They are also used in motors, generators, and loudspeakers.

4. How strong is a bitter magnet?

Bitter magnets can have extremely strong magnetic fields, ranging from 20 to 50 teslas. For comparison, the Earth's magnetic field is only around 0.00005 teslas.

5. Can a bitter magnet be demagnetized?

Yes, bitter magnets can lose their magnetism over time or when exposed to high temperatures. However, they can also be remagnetized using special techniques, such as passing an electric current through them.