Fibonacci Proofs via Induction

In summary, the conversation discusses two proofs via induction for the Fibonacci sequence. The first proof involves proving the sum of the first n Fibonacci numbers is equal to the (n+2)th number minus 1. The second proof involves proving that the sum of the odd-indexed Fibonacci numbers up to the (2n-1)th number is equal to the 2nth Fibonacci number. The conversation also discusses the use of a base case and induction step in the proofs.
cwatki14
So I am looking at the following two proofs via induction, but I have not a single idea where to start.
The First is:
1. Suppose hat F1=1, F2=1, F3=2, F4=3, F5=5 where Fn is called a Fibonacci number and in general:
Fn=Fn-1+Fn-2 for n>/= 3. Prove that:
F1+F2+F3+...+Fn=(Fn+2)-1

Secondly is:
2. Prove that F1+F2+F5+...+F2n-1=F2n

Any help. I am looking for a proof via induction with a base case and induction step.

Physics news on Phys.org
You could start by trying a base case. Let n=3. What can you conclude from this? Is the statement valid?

The base case part I think is more straight foward, but when I try to see if this hold for some k+1, things start to get tricky...

I find it easier to work in summation notation here to keep it neat.
Take the sum from i=1 to n+1 of fi. You can take fn+1 out of the sum and then apply the induction hypothesis to the other term. Then use the recursion formula for the fibonacci sequence to simplify.

So we I separate out the summation and apply the induction hypothesis to the other side I get:
[tex]\Sigma[/tex]Fj+Fk+Fk-1=(Fk+2 + Fk+1) -1
So I basically want to move the Fk+1 from the RHS to the LHS, but I would have to subtract it, and that gets me nowhere...

Simplify fn+1 + fn+2

Related to Fibonacci Proofs via Induction

1. What is a Fibonacci Proof via Induction?

A Fibonacci Proof via Induction is a mathematical method used to prove that a statement is true for all natural numbers using the principles of mathematical induction and the properties of the Fibonacci sequence.

2. Why is Fibonacci Proof via Induction important?

Fibonacci Proof via Induction is important because it allows us to prove theorems and statements about the Fibonacci sequence, which has many real-world applications in fields such as computer science, biology, and finance.

3. How does Fibonacci Proof via Induction work?

Fibonacci Proof via Induction works by breaking down the statement into smaller cases and proving that it is true for the base case (usually 0 or 1) and then proving that if it is true for one case, it is also true for the next case. This process is repeated until the statement is proven to be true for all natural numbers.

4. What are some common mistakes made in Fibonacci Proof via Induction?

Some common mistakes in Fibonacci Proof via Induction include not correctly identifying the base case, not providing a clear and logical proof for the inductive step, and assuming that the statement is true without actually proving it in the base case.

5. Are there any limitations to Fibonacci Proof via Induction?

Yes, there are limitations to Fibonacci Proof via Induction. This method can only be used to prove statements that are true for all natural numbers and may not be applicable to more complex mathematical concepts. Additionally, it is important to ensure that the statement being proved is actually true for all natural numbers before using this method.