Fernet-Serrat equations and vector calculus

In summary, we have shown that $\frac{1}{\rho}\hat{\mathbf{n}} = \frac{\dot{\hat{\mathbf{{u}}}}}{\dot{s}}$, and using the product rule, we can show that $\dot{\hat{\mathbf{u}}} = \frac{1}{v}\frac{d\mathbf{v}}{dt} - \frac{\dot v}{v^2}\mathbf v$. By rewriting the last term as a vector triple product and using the fact that $\ddot{\mathbf{r}} = \dot{\mathbf{r}}\times\mathbf{c}\times\mathbf{r}$, we can show that
Dustinsfl
I have shown the first two equality and I am working on the showing the 1st equals the 3rd.

\begin{alignat*}{4}
\frac{1}{\rho}\hat{\mathbf{{n}}} &= \frac{d\hat{\mathbf{{u}}}}{ds}
&{}= \frac{\dot{\hat{\mathbf{{u}}}}}{\dot{s}}
&{}= \left((\dot{\mathbf{r}} \cdot\dot{\mathbf{r}})\ddot{\mathbf{r}} -
(\dot{\mathbf{r}}\cdot\ddot{\mathbf{r}}) \dot{\mathbf{r}}\right)
\frac{1}{\lvert\dot{r}\rvert^4}
\end{alignat*}

$$
\frac{1}{\rho}\hat{\mathbf{{n}}} = \frac{\dot{\hat{\mathbf{{u}}}}}{\dot{s}}
$$
We know that $\mathbf{v} = \frac{ds}{dt}\frac{dr}{ds}$ where $\dot{s} = v$ and $\hat{\mathbf{u}} = \frac{dr}{ds}$.

So $\mathbf{v} = v\hat{\mathbf{u}}\iff \dot{\hat{\mathbf{u}}} = \frac{1}{v}\frac{d\mathbf{v}}{dt}$.

Then $\frac{\dot{\hat{\mathbf{{u}}}}}{\dot{s}} = \frac{1}{v^2}\frac{d\mathbf{v}}{dt}$.

I know that
$$
\frac{d\mathbf{v}}{dt} = \frac{dv}{dt}\hat{\mathbf{u}} + \frac{v^2}{\rho}\hat{\mathbf{n}}.
$$
Then $\frac{\dot{\hat{\mathbf{{u}}}}}{\dot{s}} = \frac{1}{v^2}\frac{dv}{dt}\hat{\mathbf{u}} + \frac{1}{\rho}\hat{\mathbf{n}}$.
Therefore, $\frac{1}{v^2}\frac{dv}{dt}\hat{\mathbf{u}} = 0$ but how do I show that this is $0$?

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
dwsmith said:
So $\mathbf{v} = v\hat{\mathbf{u}}\iff \dot{\hat{\mathbf{u}}} = \frac{1}{v}\frac{d\mathbf{v}}{dt}$.

You need the product rule here.
That is:
$$\mathbf{v} = v\hat{\mathbf{u}} \Rightarrow \dot{\hat{\mathbf{u}}} = \frac{1}{v}\frac{d\mathbf{v}}{dt} - \frac{\dot v}{v^2}\mathbf v$$

The additional term cancels at the end.

I like Serena said:
You need the product rule here.
That is:
$$\mathbf{v} = v\hat{\mathbf{u}} \Rightarrow \dot{\hat{\mathbf{u}}} = \frac{1}{v}\frac{d\mathbf{v}}{dt} - \frac{\dot v}{v^2}\mathbf v$$

The additional term cancels at the end.

How do I show the final equality? Convert to the vector triple product? Use Levi-Civita?

So I wrote the last term as $\dot{\mathbf{r}}\times\ddot{\mathbf{r}}\times\dot{\mathbf{r}}$ and used the fact that $\ddot{\mathbf{r}} = \dot{\mathbf{r}}\times\mathbf{c} \times\mathbf{r}$ where $\mathbf{c}$ is a constant vector.
\begin{align}
\dot{\mathbf{r}}\times\ddot{\mathbf{r}} \times\dot{\mathbf{r}} &=
\dot{\mathbf{r}}\times\dot{\mathbf{r}}\times \mathbf{c} \times\mathbf{r}\times\dot{\mathbf{r}}\\
&= \mathbf{c}\times\mathbf{r}\times\dot{\mathbf{r}}\\
&= \dot{\mathbf{r}}\times\mathbf{c}\times\mathbf{r}\\
&= \ddot{\mathbf{r}}
\end{align}
Then $\ddot{\mathbf{r}} = \left(\frac{ds}{dt}\right)^2\frac{d^2\mathbf{r}}{ds^2} = \frac{v^2}{\rho}\hat{\mathbf{n}}$.
Finally, $\frac{1}{\rho}\hat{\mathbf{n}} = \frac{v^2}{\lvert v\rvert^4\rho} \hat{\mathbf{n}} = \frac{1}{\rho} \hat{\mathbf{n}}$

Last edited:

Related to Fernet-Serrat equations and vector calculus

1. What are Fernet-Serrat equations?

Fernet-Serrat equations are a set of equations used in vector calculus to describe the motion of a particle or object in three-dimensional space. They are named after the Italian mathematician Joseph Fernet and the Spanish mathematician Eduard Serrat.

2. How are Fernet-Serrat equations derived?

Fernet-Serrat equations are derived from the fundamental principles of calculus and mechanics, specifically Newton's laws of motion. They involve taking the derivatives of position, velocity, and acceleration with respect to time.

3. What is the significance of Fernet-Serrat equations in physics?

Fernet-Serrat equations are used extensively in physics to study the movement of objects in three-dimensional space. They are particularly useful in mechanics, electromagnetism, and fluid dynamics.

4. How are Fernet-Serrat equations related to vector calculus?

Fernet-Serrat equations are a specific application of vector calculus, which involves the use of vectors and vector fields to describe and analyze physical phenomena. These equations use vector calculus concepts such as position, velocity, and acceleration vectors to describe the motion of an object.

5. Can Fernet-Serrat equations be applied to real-world situations?

Yes, Fernet-Serrat equations have many practical applications in various fields such as engineering, physics, and astronomy. They can be used to analyze and predict the motion of objects in space, the flow of fluids, and the behavior of electric and magnetic fields, among others.