Fed up with endnote - better citation software, anyone?

• Thread starter hiveologic
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Software
In summary, the individual is looking for a software to manage their documents and citations more effectively. They are currently dissatisfied with endnote and are seeking a program that allows easy access to stored files, organizes files based on useful criteria, integrates with MS word, and allows for importing of endnote citations and libraries. They also mention the usefulness of an annotation function and recommend Papers by Mekentosj and Mendeley as potential options.
hiveologic
Hello Forum,

I am currently working with endnote, but am rather fed up with it. I find it very annoying that I can not access document folders, and have to guess my way through the library folders if i want to find any of my PDFs again. Further more deleting a reference will NOT delete the actual PDF in the library. So while being quite usefull for finding references and including them into word, I find I have no control over my actual library and little to no chance to pass on a selection of files to colleagues.

I am looking for a software that
- allows me easy access to my actually stored files
- does sort my files according to author/title or any other useful format (endnote simply uses the filename, effectively meaning I need to manually rename ANY pdf I download)
- works well with MS word
- allows importing endnote citations and/or libraries (since that seems to be the standard format on scientific webpages)

Annotation function over program borders would be useful as well.

I have recently been using calibre to manage downloaded ebooks, and while not adaptable for citations, have to say that this free(!) software offers all these options, while endnote costs a fair bit while being as practical as a dead cat.

Cheers

Biology news on Phys.org
Papers by Mekentosj, hands down.
http://www.mekentosj.com/papers/

Try it, you'll love it as well. Import papers by drag-and-drop or import papers directly from your browser window. Make smart folders to automatically organize papers by subject. Match to the repository to get all important information automatically linked to your file. Open and edit PDFs directly from the software, write notes. Works perfectly with Word. I've been using it for two years and am glad that I invested that little bit of money, I have no negative points.

Last edited by a moderator:
Try Mendeley. It works really well and it's free

Related to Fed up with endnote - better citation software, anyone?

What is EndNote and why are people fed up with it?

EndNote is a reference management software that helps researchers organize and cite their sources. Many people are frustrated with EndNote because it has a steep learning curve, can be glitchy, and has limited features compared to other citation software.

What are some alternative citation software options to EndNote?

Some popular alternatives to EndNote include Zotero, Mendeley, and RefWorks. These programs offer similar features as EndNote but with a more user-friendly interface and additional functionalities such as social sharing and collaboration.

Is it worth switching from EndNote to another citation software?

It ultimately depends on your personal preferences and needs. If you are satisfied with EndNote and have already invested a significant amount of time and effort into using it, then it may not be necessary to switch. However, if you are experiencing frustrations with EndNote and want more advanced features, it may be worth considering a switch.

Do all citation software have the same referencing styles?

No, each citation software may have a different selection of referencing styles. However, most programs allow users to customize or add new styles. It is important to check if your preferred referencing style is available before choosing a citation software.

Can citation software automatically generate citations and bibliographies?

Yes, most citation software have a feature that allows users to automatically generate citations and bibliographies in a chosen referencing style. This can save time and reduce the likelihood of errors in your citations and references list.