Fast Fourier Transform in excel

In summary, the conversation is about someone needing help with performing a Fast Fourier Transform (FFT) in Excel. They explain that their main issue is not having a constant sampling rate and have tried following instructions online, but can't seem to get it to work. They have attached their spreadsheet and mention that the first column is the time and the second is the corresponding data. A possible solution is suggested to plug in an equation for the frequency column and to expand the rows until they are equally separated by a certain interval.
lavster
I really need your help - i can't work out how to do a FFT in excel. The main problem is I don't have a constant sampling rate - I recorded the time and then the corresponding magnitude of the wave. I have followed everything oneline but I can't seem to get anything to work as I can't fill the frequency column. Can someone help please? I've attached my spreadsheet. The first column is the time, the second is the data taken at that time and the other stuff is using the Data Analysis tool in excel

Thanks

Attachments

• trace.xls
    41 KB · Views: 374
Physics news on Phys.org
thats what I was following. It only works for a constant sampling rate...

It's a bit of work but if you look at the delta t's it's always a multitude of 0.5E-8.

So expand the rows until all are equally separated by a t= 0.5E-8 and intrapolate.

Edit: see attached for starters

Attachments

• trace.xls
    48.5 KB · Views: 326
Last edited:
for reaching out for help with your FFT in Excel. It sounds like you are on the right track by using the Data Analysis tool, but the issue of a variable sampling rate can definitely complicate things.

One solution could be to interpolate your data to create a uniform sampling rate, and then perform the FFT on the interpolated data. Alternatively, you could try using a different software specifically designed for FFT analysis, such as MATLAB or Python. These programs have built-in functions for handling variable sampling rates and conducting FFT calculations.

If you would like to continue using Excel, I recommend looking into the "Interpolate" function to create a uniform sampling rate, or seeking out online tutorials or forums for assistance with your specific issue. Best of luck with your analysis!

Related to Fast Fourier Transform in excel

1. What is Fast Fourier Transform (FFT) and how does it work in excel?

Fast Fourier Transform (FFT) is a mathematical algorithm used to efficiently calculate the discrete Fourier transform (DFT) of a signal or data set. In simpler terms, it is a way to analyze a signal and break it down into its individual frequency components. In excel, the FFT function is used to perform this calculation on a range of data points.

2. Why would I need to use FFT in excel?

FFT can be useful in a variety of applications, such as analyzing sound waves, filtering noise from a signal, or identifying patterns in data. In excel, it can be particularly useful for analyzing time series data, as it allows you to see the frequency components of a signal and how they change over time.

3. How do I perform an FFT in excel?

To perform an FFT in excel, you must first have a set of data points that represent a signal. These data points should be evenly spaced and in a single column. Then, you can use the FFT function, which has the syntax =FFT(array), where "array" is the range of data points. This will return an array of complex numbers, which can then be used to calculate the amplitude and phase of each frequency component.

4. Can I plot the results of an FFT in excel?

Yes, you can plot the results of an FFT in excel by using the "Insert Scatter or Line Chart" function. First, you will need to calculate the amplitude and phase of each frequency component using the complex numbers returned by the FFT function. Then, you can plot these values on a chart to visualize the frequency components of your signal.

5. Are there any limitations to using FFT in excel?

While FFT can be a powerful tool in excel, there are some limitations to keep in mind. For example, the FFT function can only handle a maximum of 32768 data points, so it may not be suitable for very large datasets. Additionally, the results of FFT can be affected by noise or outliers in the data, so it is important to clean and preprocess your data before using the FFT function.