Families of holomorphic functions and uniform convergence on compact sets

In summary, the sequence $\{f_n\}$ of complex valued functions, where $f_n=tan(nz)$, $n=1,2,3\ldots$ and $z$ is in the upper half plane $Im(z)>0$, is uniformly locally bounded and converges uniformly to the function identically equal to $i$ on compact subsets of the upper half plane.
pantboio
Consider the sequence $\{f_n\}$ of complex valued functions, where $f_n=tan(nz)$, $n=1,2,3\ldots$ and $z$ is in the upper half plane $Im(z)>0$. I want to show two facts about this sequence:
1) it's uniformly locally bounded: for every $z_0=x_0+iy_0$ in the upper half plane, ther exist $r_0,M_0>0$ such that $|f_n(z)|\leq M_0$ for every $n$ and for every $z$ with $|z-z_0|<r_0$.
2) the sequence converges uniformly to the function identically equal to $i$ on the compact subsets of the upper half plane.

For point 1), i write $tan(nz)$ in terms of exponentials:

$$tan(nz)=i\frac{e^{-inz}-e^{inz}}{e^{-inz}+e^{inz}}$$
Thus
$$|tan(nz)|=\frac{|e^{-inz}-e^{inz}|}{|e^{-inz}+e^{inz}|}\leq\frac{|e^{-inz}|+|e^{inz}|}{|e^{-inz}|-|e^{inz}|}=\frac{e^{ny}+e^{-ny}}{e^{ny}-e^{-ny}}=coth(ny)$$

Since $coth(y)$ is monotonically decreasing for $y=Im(z)>0$, we have
$$|tan(nz)|\leq coth(ny)\leq coth(y)\leq coth(y_0+r_0)=:M_0$$

Do you think there's some error in what i wrote?
For the point 2) i think i need a suggestion

Physics news on Phys.org
pantboio said:
Consider the sequence $\{f_n\}$ of complex valued functions, where $f_n=tan(nz)$, $n=1,2,3\ldots$ and $z$ is in the upper half plane $Im(z)>0$. I want to show two facts about this sequence:
1) it's uniformly locally bounded: for every $z_0=x_0+iy_0$ in the upper half plane, ther exist $r_0,M_0>0$ such that $|f_n(z)|\leq M_0$ for every $n$ and for every $z$ with $|z-z_0|<r_0$.
2) the sequence converges uniformly to the function identically equal to $i$ on the compact subsets of the upper half plane.

For point 1), i write $tan(nz)$ in terms of exponentials:

$$tan(nz)=i\frac{e^{-inz}-e^{inz}}{e^{-inz}+e^{inz}}$$
Thus
$$|tan(nz)|=\frac{|e^{-inz}-e^{inz}|}{|e^{-inz}+e^{inz}|}\leq\frac{|e^{-inz}|+|e^{inz}|}{|e^{-inz}|-|e^{inz}|}=\frac{e^{ny}+e^{-ny}}{e^{ny}-e^{-ny}}=coth(ny)$$

Since $coth(y)$ is monotonically decreasing for $y=Im(z)>0$, we have
$$|tan(nz)|\leq coth(ny)\leq coth(y)\leq coth(y_0+r_0)=:M_0$$

Do you think there's some error in what i wrote?
For the point 2) i think i need a suggestion
I think that the only error comes right at the end, where you have $\coth(y)\leqslant \coth(y_0+r_0)$. Since $\coth$ is a decreasing function, that should be $\coth(y)\leqslant \coth(y_0-r_0)$. If you then take $r_0 = y_0/2$, you see that you can take $M_0 = \coth(y_0/2)$.

For 2), start from $\tan(nz)=i\dfrac{e^{-inz}-e^{inz}}{e^{-inz}+e^{inz}}$, to show that $\tan(nz)-i =\dfrac{-2ie^{inz}}{e^{-inz}+e^{inz}} =\dfrac{-2i}{e^{-2inz}+1}$, and deduce that $\bigl|\tan(nz)-i\bigr| \leqslant \dfrac2{e^{2ny}-1}$. Then show that this goes to $0$ uniformly on compact subsets of the upper half plane.

Related to Families of holomorphic functions and uniform convergence on compact sets

1. What is a holomorphic function?

A holomorphic function is a complex-valued function that is differentiable at every point in its domain. This means that it has a well-defined derivative at each point, and thus can be approximated by a linear function at any point.

2. What is the significance of uniform convergence on compact sets?

Uniform convergence on compact sets is important because it ensures that a sequence of functions converges to the same function at every point in the compact set. This is necessary for many applications, such as in complex analysis, where the behavior of a function on a compact set can reveal important properties about the function.

3. How do families of holomorphic functions relate to uniform convergence on compact sets?

Families of holomorphic functions can be used to study uniform convergence on compact sets. By considering a family of holomorphic functions that converges uniformly on a compact set, we can gain insights into the behavior of the functions and the properties of the limiting function.

4. What are some examples of families of holomorphic functions?

Some examples of families of holomorphic functions include the family of polynomial functions, the family of exponential functions, and the family of trigonometric functions. These families can be used to approximate more complex functions and to study their behavior on compact sets.

5. What are some applications of families of holomorphic functions and uniform convergence on compact sets?

Families of holomorphic functions and uniform convergence on compact sets have many applications in mathematics and physics. They are used to study complex analysis, differential equations, and the behavior of physical systems. They are also important in numerical analysis and approximation methods.