Falling object collision question

In summary, we discussed the physical principles behind the collision of two objects due to the force of gravity. The situation described involved a massive object A falling onto a stationary object B held up by a structure. The force of gravity on object A, F=MaG, is applied to object B upon impact. According to Newton's third law, an equal force is applied from object A onto object B. However, the force from A on B (or vice versa) also depends on factors such as acceleration and elasticity of the objects. The duration of the collision and the resulting acceleration can be determined using Newton's second law and knowledge of the objects' elasticity.
Stellar1
Hello,
I've been trying to figure out the physica behind a collision of two objects due to the force of gravity. Here's the situation as I'm picturing it:

A massive object A is falling due to gravity which impacts a stationary object B being held up by a structure. In this particular case, the structure is unable to support the impact force of object A and fails, causing the now combined object AB to continue falling.

My difficulty is in picturing how the forces interact during the collision. Object A is falling with a force of F=MaG, which is then applied to Object B. At this instant, object B begins its acceleration... Would a force F be applied, during the collision, to Object A in the opposite direction due to Newtons 3rd law?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Stellar1! :smile:
Stellar1 said:
Object A is falling with a force of F=MaG, which is then applied to Object B.

That isn't how it works.

Mag is the force on A (from the Earth).

To find the force on A from B, you find the acceleration of A during the collision, subtract that from g, and multiply by Ma.

The force from A on B is of course the same (Newton's third law).

(that's if you analyse it instantaneously …

the more sensible way would be to use impulse, rather than instantaneous force)

If object A is on object B, the it is applying the force MaG onto it, no?

The only way I can reconcile this in my head is if I take compressibility into account. That allows for object B to accelerate and object A to decelerate until a common speed is achieved and gravity accelerates the combined object.

Stellar1 said:
If object A is on object B, the it is applying the force MaG onto it, no?

no :confused:

the force from A on B (or vice versa) depends on a lot of things

Let me rewrite this now that I'm not doing 3 things at once and able to think about this with minimal distractions:

I know that A will be falling with a force of Fa=mag onto object B, which can only support a force of, say, Fs. The length of time object A is under this acceleration will allow us to determine the velocity of object B at the instant just prior to collision, which we will call vi

Now, assuming object B is incompressible and, since we assume Fa>Fs, its perfectly consistent to assume that the force during the collision will break the supports and object B will now accelerate from rest under the collision force of object A, as well as gravity.

Since we assume that object B is not very compressible, wouldn't this mean that object A has to essentially come to rest as well, so that object B (now joined to A) will both accelerate from rest (since B is starting from an initially stationary position)? This would then imply that the velocity at the instant just after collision is 0, correct? The force exerted by A on B (and by B on A) would then equal F=mavi/t + mag, where t is the duration of the collision.

Is there any way to determine how long this collision would take?

Stellar1 said:
I know that A will be falling with a force of Fa=mag onto object B …

No, that's completely wrong.

Before A hits B, it has an acceleration of g downward, and there is a force on A (from the Earth) of Mag.

A does not exert a force of Mag on anything (except of course the Earth).

When A hits B, A will slow down a lot, and will also change shape slightly. B will also change shape slightly, and will start accelerating.

You find the force by finding the acceleration first (on either A or B), and multiplying that by the mass.

You find the acceleration by using Newton's second law, which is about momentum, and also using your knowledge of the elasticity of A and B.

tiny-tim said:
No, that's completely wrong.

Before A hits B, it has an acceleration of g downward, and there is a force on A (from the Earth) of Mag.

A does not exert a force of Mag on anything (except of course the Earth).

When A hits B, A will slow down a lot, and will also change shape slightly. B will also change shape slightly, and will start accelerating.

You find the force by finding the acceleration first (on either A or B), and multiplying that by the mass.

You find the acceleration by using Newton's second law, which is about momentum, and also using your knowledge of the elasticity of A and B.

Ahh, yeah. That's what I meant. Falling onto =>Falling towards with a force of F=mag which accelerates it to a certain velocity prior to colliding with B.

Related to Falling object collision question

1. How is the speed of a falling object affected by collisions?

The speed of a falling object is affected by collisions in several ways. First, if the object is colliding with another object, the direction and magnitude of the force of the collision will change the object's velocity. Second, if the object is colliding with a surface, the elasticity and friction of the surface will also impact the object's speed. Finally, if the object is colliding with air molecules, air resistance will slow the object down.

2. What factors determine the outcome of a falling object collision?

The outcome of a falling object collision is determined by several factors. These include the mass and velocity of the object, the angle and surface of the collision, and the elasticity and friction of the objects involved. Other factors such as air resistance and external forces can also play a role in the outcome of the collision.

3. How does the height of a fall affect the outcome of a collision?

The height of a fall can greatly impact the outcome of a collision. The higher the object falls from, the greater its velocity will be upon impact, resulting in a more forceful collision. Additionally, a higher fall may also change the angle and surface of the collision, further impacting the outcome.

4. Can the shape of a falling object affect the outcome of a collision?

Yes, the shape of a falling object can definitely affect the outcome of a collision. Objects with irregular shapes may have different points of contact during a collision, resulting in varying levels of force and direction. Additionally, the shape of an object can also affect its air resistance and speed during the fall, which can impact the outcome of a collision.

5. How can collisions between falling objects be calculated and predicted?

Collisions between falling objects can be calculated and predicted using principles of physics, such as Newton's laws of motion and the conservation of momentum and energy. By considering the mass, velocity, and angles of the objects involved, along with factors such as air resistance and external forces, the outcome of a collision can be estimated. Additionally, computer simulations and experiments can also help in predicting and understanding the outcomes of falling object collisions.