Fair to say there are twice as many square matrices as rectangular?

In summary, the conversation discusses the comparison of the number of square matrices and rectangular matrices. It is argued that there are at least twice as many square matrices as rectangular matrices due to the ability to associate two square matrices with every rectangular matrix. However, due to the infinite nature of both types of matrices, it is not possible to make a fair comparison. The concept of the "Hilbert Hotel paradox" is mentioned as an explanation for this. Additionally, it is mentioned that the number of matrices depends on the coefficient set being used and that there are potentially more invertible or non-invertible matrices depending on the chosen definition of "more".
ssayani87
Fair to say there are "twice" as many square matrices as rectangular?

Is it fair to say that there are at least twice as many square matrices as there are rectangular?

I was thinking something like this...

Let R be a rectangular matrix with m rows and n columns, and suppose either m < n or m > n. Then, we can associate two square matrices with R, namely RRt, and RtR, with Rt being R Transpose.

In other words, for every rectangular matrix there can be associated (at least) two square matrices.

Google brought up nothing, so I figured I would ask it here. It's not for homework or anything; just out of interest.

Physics news on Phys.org
Every square matrix IS a rectangular matrix.

If you consider rectangular matrices which are not square matrices only:
For every square matrix S, I can produce an infinite set of rectangular matrices by writing the columns of S once, twice, three times, ... next to each other (like "SSSS" - not a multiplication!).
No, that argument does not work.

There is an infinite amount of matrices, both for square matrices and rectangular matrices (note that the former are a proper subset of the latter). Therefore, intuitive ways to compare their number break down. As another example: There are as many even integers as there are integers.

Whoops, I suppose a better way to have phrased my question was "Are there twice as many matrices whose dimensions are the same as those whose dimensions are different," but that's a great answer, thanks!

Google for "Hilbert Hotel paradox". That should explain why the answer is "no".

To expand a bit on what I think Aleph_0 was getting at:
You should always specify the coefficients you are working with. If your coefficient set has cardinality |S| , then there will be |S|^(m+n) rectangular mxn matrices, since you can use any of the elements of S for any entry.

If you like that type of problem, try to answer if there are more invertible nxn matrices or more singular/non-invertible nxn matrices. And knock yourself out if you find it interesting by finding different choices for the meaning of "more" , in topology, measure, etc.

Related to Fair to say there are twice as many square matrices as rectangular?

1. How do you define a square matrix?

A square matrix is a type of matrix in which the number of rows is equal to the number of columns. In other words, it has an equal number of rows and columns, resulting in a square shape.

2. What is a rectangular matrix?

A rectangular matrix is a type of matrix in which the number of rows and columns are different. This results in a rectangular shape, hence the name.

3. Is it true that there are twice as many square matrices as rectangular matrices?

Yes, it is true. This is because a square matrix can be defined as a special case of a rectangular matrix, where the number of rows is equal to the number of columns.

4. How can we prove that there are twice as many square matrices as rectangular matrices?

We can prove this using the fundamental principle of counting. Since a square matrix has an equal number of rows and columns, we can say that the number of possible square matrices is equal to the number of possible values for the dimensions of a square matrix. This is the same as the number of possible values for the dimensions of a rectangular matrix, but with half the number of possible values for the rows because the number of columns can be equal to the number of rows. Therefore, there are twice as many possible square matrices as rectangular matrices.

5. Why is it important to understand the difference between square and rectangular matrices?

Understanding the difference between square and rectangular matrices is important because it allows us to understand and work with different types of matrices in mathematics and scientific applications. For example, square matrices are commonly used in linear algebra, while rectangular matrices are often used in data analysis and computer programming. By understanding their differences, we can use the most appropriate type of matrix for our specific needs, leading to more accurate and efficient results.