Factoring is important in mathematics

In summary, factoring is an important concept in mathematics and is used to find the critical points of a given function, which can then be used to find the maxima and minima. There are different methods for factoring polynomials, such as Berlekamp's method for finite fields and numerical methods for rational polynomials. However, for simple polynomials, techniques like the rational root theorem or polynomial division can be used.
Darkiekurdo
Hi,
Factoring is important in mathematics so I should know how to factor things. But I don't see how one should factor something! I have looked all over the web but I still don't get it. Could someone show me how factoring works? I would appreciate it.

Thank you.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
What sorts of things do you want to factor?

Polynomials.

To factor an arbitrary polynomial over a finite field, something like Berlekamp's method is usually used.

To factor arbitrary rational polynomials (or polynomials over a number field), I think the favorite method is to use numerical methods to find a root, and the use lattice methods to recover the minimal polynomial of that root.

I mostly want to use factorization because I want to find the critical points of a given function so I can use it to find the maxima and minima of the given function.

Hurkyl said:
To factor an arbitrary polynomial over a finite field, something like Berlekamp's method is usually used.

To factor arbitrary rational polynomials (or polynomials over a number field), I think the favorite method is to use numerical methods to find a root, and the use lattice methods to recover the minimal polynomial of that root.
I'm sorry, but I don't understand this. Could you explain this like you would explain a 14-year old (like me)? I'm sorry for my ignorance.

Oh, if you're trying to factor small polynomials by hand, the rational root theorem is one of the most useful techniques.

The thing I mentioned is more of a sledgehammer approach that a computer would use to factor a large polynomial.

Darkiekurdo said:
I mostly want to use factorization because I want to find the critical points of a given function so I can use it to find the maxima and minima of the given function.

The examples you will do will all be easy to factor by trial and error, or appeal to the quadratic formula. This is because the questions will not be attermpting to find just how good you are at impossible things. You will undoutbedly only have to factor something like x^4+x^2-2, for whcih you will easily recognise 1 and -1 as roots, this allows you to do polynomial division, or less fancily write

(x-1)(x+1)(ax^2+bx+c)=x^4+x^2-2

and multiplying out and equating coefficients shows that a=1, c=2 and you can find b. This means you now have to factor only a quadratic which is easy by anyone's standards since there is a formula for it.

Related to Factoring is important in mathematics

What is factoring and why is it important in mathematics?

Factoring is the process of breaking down a number or expression into smaller factors. It is important in mathematics because it allows us to simplify and solve equations, find common factors, and identify patterns in numbers and equations.

How does factoring help in solving equations?

Factoring helps in solving equations by breaking down a complex equation into smaller, more manageable parts. This allows us to identify and isolate variables, making it easier to solve for the unknown value.

Can factoring be used in real-life applications?

Yes, factoring is used in many real-life applications, such as finance, engineering, and computer science. In finance, factoring is used to calculate interest rates and payments. In engineering, factoring is used to find the optimal solution for complex problems. In computer science, factoring is used in encryption and coding.

What are the different methods of factoring?

There are several methods of factoring, including finding the greatest common factor, using the difference of squares formula, using the quadratic formula, and using grouping. Each method has its own advantages and is used in different scenarios.

Why is it important to learn factoring in mathematics?

Learning factoring in mathematics is important because it is a fundamental skill that is used in many areas of mathematics and other fields. It helps to simplify complex equations, identify patterns, and solve problems efficiently. Additionally, it lays the foundation for more advanced topics in algebra, such as polynomial functions and quadratic equations.