Factor of safety for combined direct and shear loading

In summary: Note that the shear stress in the bolt will be larger than the applied shear stress due to the shear lag effect. However, the shear stress in the bolt will be less than the shear stress in the shank of the bolt, so the shear lag effect is actually beneficial (reduces the stress in the bolt).In summary, the problem gives a bolt in single shear with a tension force due to tightening of 39.886kN, a bolt diameter of 20mm, and a shear loading of 26.276kN. The maximum allowable tensile stress is 290MPa and the maximum shear stress is 60% of that. The factor of safety in operation can be calculated by dividing 60% of
Kyle52

Homework Statement

A Bolt is in single shear and is tightened so that it exerts a tension force of 39.886kN, the
diameter of the bolt is 20mm and the shear loading is 26.276kN;

Given that the tensile stress should not exceed 290MPa and the maximum shear stress should be
taken as 60% of the maximum tensile stress.

Calculate the factor of safety in operation.

Homework Equations

FOS= ult stress/working stress

A= (2pi d^2) / 4

tensile stress = tensile force / cross secontional area

The Attempt at a Solution

I have taken the cross sectional area as (2pi . 20^2) / 4 = 628.32mm^2

so tensile stress = 39.886kN / 62.32^-3 = 63.48Nm

So for the factor of safety I have taken : (0.6 x 290)/63.48 = 2.74

This is what I have managed to come up with in a combination of notes + textbooks but I have a feeling that I have gone wrong somewhere.

Any help would be great

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Kyle52 said:
so tensile stress = 39.886kN / 62.32^-3 = 63.48Nm

This is incorrect. It should read 62.32*10^-6, as 1m^2 = 1000000mm^2, and the resultant unit is not Nm, it is N/m^2 (or Pa)

Actually, I didnt look closely enough at your previous calculations to get to "62.32^-3"...

Where does this figure come from at all? It certainly is not the cross sectional area of a 20mm dia bolt (in m^2).

Where did you get your cross-sectional area formula from?

I found it on a website that said to use 2 x pi r^2 if it is in double sheer which this is?

but my tutor prefers us to use (pi d^2)/4 for area so I just put the 2 in front. This is incorrect I am guessing?

Your OP says the bolt is in single shear. If that is correct then doubling the area is incorrect.

Ok I think I might just be going crazy. This is a copy of the diagram that I have wth the question ( sorry about the paint skills I can't copy it from a pdf)

As the shear is acting on both sides I asumed it was double sheer?

Apart from this mis calcultaion are the steps I am going through correct and the numbers are just wrong?

thanks

Attachments

• shear .jpg
    shear .jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 786
I found this;
http://www.mae.ncsu.edu/zhu/courses/mae314/lecture/Lecture2_Stress-Strain.pdf
Slides 16-18 might be diagramatically helpful.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks I now understand why it's single and not double. I'm strugling to understand the significance of the tension force and the tension force itt's telling me not to exceed in calculating the working stress on the bolt as the examples I can find online don't seem to have them.

I can calculate the working stress with just : stress=force/area?

Engineering is not my speciality. From what I understand, yes, tensile working stress can be calculated as you have stated above, and then factored into the FOS formula you have stated in the OP, using the 290MPa as ult stress.

Shearing working stress - not so sure. When calculating working stress in this instance, does "area" still mean X-sectional area? Is this the area which the force is being applied to?

Likes 1 person
I believe that the shear stress area is the cross-sectional area of material with area parallel to the applied force vector. (This is what I have from my class notes)

I think I'm just missing something as there seems to be more information given in the question than I need?

Thanks for trying to help I appreciate it, I wil get my tutor to go though it with me tomorrow if I have no luck on here.

You appear to be mixing up shear and tension loads/stresses and safety factors. You should compare the max shear stress with the actual shear stress to determine the factor of safety against bolt failure in shear. The area of the bolt is still the same, assuming no threads in shear plane.

So I can find the FOS with just the sheer loading force (sheer force/cross sectional area) and 60% of the 290MPa as the max stress? I don't need to use the tension force that it gives me? Sorry but this is confusing the hell out of me and it's probably so simple once you get it.

Kyle52 said:
So I can find the FOS with just the sheer loading force (sheer force/cross sectional area) and 60% of the 290MPa as the max stress? I don't need to use the tension force that it gives me? Sorry but this is confusing the hell out of me and it's probably so simple once you get it.
Well, not that simple. If the tensile load was externally applied, you would have to use a combined tension and shear stress formula to come up with the safety factor. You probably have not studied that combined stress method yet, but anyway, that does not appear to be the intent of this problem, since it states that the tension force is due to tightening of the bolt (prestressing it by turning the nut with a wrench by a specified amount) and not due to applying an axial tensile load to it. In which case, you can just look at the actual shear stress applied versus maximum allowed shear stress to determine the safety factor.

Likes 1 person

Related to Factor of safety for combined direct and shear loading

What is the factor of safety for combined direct and shear loading?

The factor of safety for combined direct and shear loading is a measure of how much stronger a structure needs to be compared to the expected load it will experience. It is typically calculated by dividing the ultimate strength of the structure by the applied load.

Why is the factor of safety important in engineering?

The factor of safety is important in engineering because it ensures that structures are designed with a margin of safety to prevent failure. It takes into account uncertainties in materials, construction, and external forces, and helps to ensure the safety and reliability of the structure.

How is the factor of safety calculated for combined direct and shear loading?

The factor of safety for combined direct and shear loading is calculated by dividing the ultimate strength of the structure by the expected load. The ultimate strength can be determined through testing or analysis, and the expected load can be determined based on the design requirements and external forces that the structure will experience.

What is the recommended factor of safety for combined direct and shear loading?

The recommended factor of safety for combined direct and shear loading varies depending on the type of structure and the level of risk associated with potential failure. In general, a factor of safety of at least 2 is recommended, but it may be higher for critical structures or in areas with high levels of seismic activity.

How does the factor of safety change for different types of structures?

The factor of safety may change for different types of structures depending on their intended use and the materials used in their construction. For example, a bridge may require a higher factor of safety than a building due to the potential consequences of failure. Similarly, structures made of different materials may have different ultimate strengths, leading to different factor of safety calculations.