Factor and simplify (PREcalculus)

In summary: I'm still getting used to using LaTeX. In summary, the conversation revolves around a question about factoring and simplifying a precalculus problem. The first poster makes a mistake in factoring and the second poster provides a helpful explanation and solution to the problem. The conversation then shifts to the topic of finding resources to practice factoring more complex expressions.
Conzen
Hello,

First time poster here. After lurking about the forums for a couple days I feel as if this question may be overly rudimentary; regardless, I'm stuck. This is not a homework assignment but preparation for an upcoming precalculus class.

(x^2-4)((x^2+3)^1/2) - ((x^2-4)^2) ((x^2+3)^3/2) - Factor and simplify

I understand that (x^2-4) by itself can be broken down to (x-2)(x+2). However I don't think that is getting me anywhere. Beyond that, I know that obviously (x^2-4) is a factor of ((x^2-4)^2) as well as ((x^2+3)^1/2) being a factor of ((x^2+3)^3/2).

With that said, I would rearrange to (x^2-4)(1+(x^2-4)) and ((x^2+3)^1/2)(1+(x^2-4)). Outside of that, I am lost. I realize that I'm seemingly ignoring that subtraction sign there, but in all honesty, I just don't know how to make it fit.

Any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
You appear to be making a major error. You seem to think that if you factor a term out of an expression, it leaves "1+ " the rest of the expression. That is not true. If you factor "a" out of "ab", all that is left is "b", not "1+ b".

Yes, you have [itex]x^2- 4[/itex] in one term and [itex](x^2- 4)^2[/itex] in the other so there is a "[itex]x^2- 4[/itex] in both and you can take that out leaving [itex](x^2+ 3)^{1/2}- (x^2- 4)(x^2+ 3)^{3/2}[/itex]/ And [itex](x^2+ 3)^{3/2}= (x^2+ 3)(x^2+ 3)^{1/2}[/tex] so each term has a "[itex](x^2+ 3)^{1/2}[/itex] that can be factored out, leaving [itex](1- (x^2- 4)(x^2+ 3)^{1/2}[/ITEX]

That is, [itex](x^2- 4)(x^2+ 3)^{1/2}- (x^2- 4)^2(x^2+ 3)^{3/2}= (x^2- 4)(x^2- 3)^{1/2}(1- x^2- 4(x^2+ 3)^{1/2}[/itex]
And now you can factor [itex]x^2- 4[/itex].

Thank you for the swift reply.

I definitely understand the mistake I was making. For some reason the subtraction in the middle threw me off. You put me in the right direction. I eventually came to the following:

[itex][(x^2-4)(x^2+3)^{1/2}]-[(x^2-4)^2(x^2+3)^{3/2}][/itex]

[itex]((x^2-4)(x^2+3)^{1/2})(1-(x^2-4)(x^2+3))[/itex]

[itex]((x^2-4)(x^2+3)^{1/2})(1-x^4+x^2+12)[/itex]

With a final answer of

[itex]((x+2)(x-2)(x^2+3)^{1/2})(-x^4+x^2+13)[/itex] which is what the book agrees with.

This problem was in the review section (prerequisite) of my precalculus book. Unfortunately, it being a review, there isn't much more of it's kind. Everything problem before and after it I seem to have a very good grounding in. Does anyone have any suggestion of a website or program where I can practice multiple problems of this type? I've checked Khan Academy already. He doesn't seem to have anything quite like the above in his practice exercises; they are either too easy or too advanced (for me at this time).

Last edited by a moderator:
Something like http://www.coolmath.com/crunchers/algebra-problems-factoring-by-grouping.htm perhaps?

Thanks for the suggestion; I didn't know about that site. Unfortunately, unless I'm missing something, I run into the same issue as with Khan Academy. These sample problems are extremely simple. I'm looking for something where you actually factor out whole binomials (as well as positive/negative exponents). I understand the basic concept is the same in either case, but I still seem to be having issues here and there...

For instance:

Problems like [itex]x^{-3/2} - 2x^{-1/2} + x^{1/2}[/itex] are extremely simple for me, whereas problems such as [itex](x^2+1)^{1/2} - 10(x^2+1)^{-1/2}[/itex] are hit or miss and always confuse me somewhere in the process. I know I'm missing something very simple somewhere in the process, but it eludes me.

Last edited:
Conzen said:
For instance:

Problems like [itex](x^-3/2) - (2x^-1/2) + (x^1/2)[/itex] are extremely simple for me, whereas problems such as [itex]((x^2+1)^1/2) - 10((x^2+1)^-1/2)[/itex] are hit or miss and always confuse me somewhere in the process. I know I'm missing something very simple somewhere in the process, but it eludes me.
When doing LaTeX: To include more than one character in an exponent, enclose it in braces, { } .

As in x^{-3/2} which LaTeX renders as [itex]x^{-3/2} \ .[/itex]

Thanks for that.

Related to Factor and simplify (PREcalculus)

What is a factor?

A factor is a number or expression that divides evenly into another number or expression.

Why do we need to factor?

Factoring helps us simplify complicated expressions and equations, making them easier to solve and understand.

What is the difference between factoring and simplifying?

Factoring involves breaking down an expression into its factors, while simplifying involves reducing an expression to its simplest form by combining like terms and using mathematical operations.

What are the basic rules for factoring?

The basic rules for factoring include finding common factors, using the distributive property, and applying special factoring formulas such as the difference of squares and the sum/difference of cubes.

How can factoring be useful in real-world applications?

Factoring can be useful in various real-world situations, such as finding the most efficient way to pack boxes or determining the best pricing strategy for a product. It can also be used in fields such as engineering, economics, and physics to solve complex equations and models.